1997 Yukon Instrument Cluster Innaccurate Reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vince Pepple

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, so I have found a LOT of info regarding 99 and later instrument cluster problems and repair via stepper motor replacement, however, I have found little to NO info on 1995 through 1998 gauge clusters and their issues and fixes. I have a 1997 Yukon and none of the gauges read properly, or in some cases, at all. I have tried two separate clusters and they both act wonky and don't read properly. Some gauges are just off on their readings and others don't function at all or the needles flop around wildly. How common are cluster problems in this generation and how can they be repaired or calibrated to read properly? IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!!!! PLEASE HELP ME! Thanks.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which ones are not functioning at all?

The fuel gauge is typically the problem-child, either twitching around or quivering like hummingbird wings.

Do the tachometer and voltage gauge work?

Do the indicator lights work? High beam, check engine, turn signals, etc.

The cluster grounds are G103 (on the thermostat housing) and G104 with is somewhere on the right (passenger) center of the cylinder head. I'd start with 103, remove then nut and make sure the wire eyelet is clean. See if you can spot 104, I'm not sure where it is.

Kind of doubt that it's your issue, it seems like you'd have other issues as those grounds are probably shared by other systems.

cca40a2139de9f47fdd1361900ee097d.jpg