1996 Tahoe a/c problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I hate to keep blowing up the boards here but I have had this issue and read many different threads on this similar problem. I know nothing about a/c. What i do know, i have read on this site..making me dangerous!
I have had this problem for years. I run my a/c on high and it does cool but not to the point that you have to turn down the fan. I always must keep it on high.
I do know the dealership replaced the compressor about 6 years ago, which i thought had fixed it but it was Fall and maybe i just couldnt tell then. I only drove it once a week then. Also, a friend and I checked the 134a about 6 months ago with his gauges and he said it really didnt need any. We went ahead and added a bit more but i do recall not near the dangerous area of the guages.
I live in east Tennessee. The weather was 77 with 47% humidity when i performed this test. I used my Fluke meter to guage the temperature. The minimum and max temperature was 57-64. Doors were open and I had the probe placed about 1/2 in inside the far right passenger vent. I never noticed the compressor turn off and on(or cycle i guess its called). The temperature differance listed at 57-64 may have been due to the probe moving around in the vent. (i kept lifting the meter up to read) or it may have been to changing it from recirculate and back. I did all this for 30+ minutes.
Of course im hoping its a simple switch i can replace, what do you think?

buckbadly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This may or may not help but I'll throw it out there in case it may help someone that reads it. I recharged my ac a month or so ago cause it just wasn't getting cold enough. However the rear got really cold but not the front. Well I got to looking around and under the cover at the bottom of the dash there is a plug about in the middle. It had come unplugged, I think it said it controlled the front/back circulation or something like that. It immediately started getting ice cold up front.

OP
OP
totalpackage

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to know. I have a 2 door, so not sure if that connection is there. I did have the glove compartment out and looked to the left and saw several connections all intact today.

OP
OP
totalpackage

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Document?

Also, I have to add 1 more thing. There was a small vacuum hose on the heater assembly. Months back i noticed it disconnected from the firewall area and plugged it back in to where i believe it went. Now this hose is in BAD condition. Could it be contributing to not cooling correctly. Is there only one spot to plug it in?

Last edited:

Roadboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your evap core might be plugged up (it's in the dash behind the glove box)

OP
OP
totalpackage

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC update: I have fixed my coolant leak issue with hoses and replaced small vacuum hose ect. Since then I have been monitoring my ac with my Fluke meter daily and these are some measurement results...currently no issue.
60* outside and was reading as low as 40* at center with fan at low. 45* with fan high.
Why is temp higher with fan high?
Also noticed 3-5 degree lower difference when ideling than when traveling. Why?
Maybe the cooler weather is not allowing me to detect an issue? Or it's fixed?

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
fan high will drain the cooling effect of the evap more so while airflow increases the cooling effect will drop slightly during the same time. as far as traveling do you have a leaking door seal or something like that that would effect intake air temp? would still test it at warmer temps as well.

OP
OP
totalpackage

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was 80 today in East Tennessee. At 1pm it took 20 minutes of travel to see my meter hit 50* at had to keep on high entire time of travel which was 45 min. to remain comfy. Again, as my rpm dropped, i saw a degree or 2 drop in temperature and as rpm increased, back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14