1996 Tahoe 2dr 2wd compatible donor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoRo

Reaction score
Looking for a little advice, info, encouragement, or maybe just insight. Harvey consumed my 96 Tahoe and I'm barely getting to the point where my house is near completion of repairs and can turn a little attention to my Tahoe.

Tahoe was flooded past the dash, but I dont want to give up on it. Looking for a donor 96 but wondering what all years are compatible. I've read about transmission differences between the years but what about engine and body harness?? For example, will a harness out of a 98 silverado work on my 96 tahoe. I figure I can buy a single cab long bed 1996 and swap out most electronics. I know 96-97 4l60s are compatible so assume maybe 96-97 donors should be the same. Of course I wouldn't be looking for a diesel or manual version in the same years......

What to do?? fix it, gut it out, get rid of it????

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
96-97 are the only 100% the same but with it being 2wd at least u don't have transfer cases to worry about. the case on 98 is slightly different but should still fit on the newer ones but I think the plugs are different and would need to be swapped but could porb do it. hope e that makes sense lol

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to say that 1998 was when the Passlock came into play, so you may be better off with a pre-98 VCM from another 2WD. Or maybe it could be flashed or reprogrammed to match your 96. Alternately, buy a new one from one of the programmer companies like Black Bear.

As for interior wiring harness, something to keep in mind is any accessory connections that you’d want to keep. Rear hatch release, rear wiper, defrost, power seats, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roy, that's a hard call, especially what you have already gone through and hopefully you can see that the end of the tunnel is near. As for the Tahoe, it will be a lot of time/expense and money to accomplish. It will always have electrical issues unless you do a ground up restauration. I'm on the fence about it, if it means that much to you, go for it, you know the vehicle better than anyone, and good luck to you and your family, you've weathered the storm.
David g...........:2cents:

Last edited:

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
What kind of water flooded it? Salt, brackish or fresh? If it is other than fresh, you need to scrap it. You'd be looking at it possibly bursting into flames or really bad electrical issues if so. I handled auto claims for a long time and here in Florida, we get a lot of flooding. If it were anything other than fresh water, we totalled them because of the weird things that could happen with brackish and saltwater contamination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan