1996 GMC Yukon Tire Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter Brzak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the biggest possible Tire I could fit on my 1996 GMC Yukon 2wd? I am thinking about buying rims from my buddy. They are 6 lug so I am buying 2" wheel adapters. His rims are 17x9 and 32". Would these fit without rubbing? If they rub a little it is no worries as long as it doesn't mess anything up. If they fit, could I go any bigger in the future with a 17" rim without a lift? I read on a couple other forums I could fit 28575r16.. but probably nothing bigger with a 17" rim?

Thank you!

Hunter

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hunter, :welcome:to the forum from Georgia Dawg country. I have in the past, thought about what your doing as well. It would be nice to find some new pull-offs (tires/wheels) to put on my Tahoe, rather than the Michelins that are not cheap. I'm just not comfortable adding any kind of adapter to use 6 lug wheels on my Tahoe. There's always the possibility of attachment problems as well as balancing. Let me know how it works for you.
David g.......:2cents:

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
What is the biggest possible Tire I could fit on my 1996 GMC Yukon 2wd? I am thinking about buying rims from my buddy. They are 6 lug so I am buying 2" wheel adapters. His rims are 17x9 and 32". Would these fit without rubbing? If they rub a little it is no worries as long as it doesn't mess anything up. If they fit, could I go any bigger in the future with a 17" rim without a lift? I read on a couple other forums I could fit 28575r16.. but probably nothing bigger with a 17" rim?

Thank you!

Hunter
The wheel/tire size will fit in the wheel wells... however, the wheel adapters will cause some rubbing issues due to them pushing everything out.

Long ago, I ran a 32x11.50/15 setup on my 2wd (no wheel adapters, can't remember if I had the 2" spindle drop or not). This combo caused a few problems when road bumps and turns were involved - fenders lips ate into the tread a little. I've since rolled my fender lips. With a 2" adapter, you'd have even more issues - you'd either tear up your tires, dent your fenders, or you'd need to cut your fenders to clear on road bumps.

With the 285/75 setup, you'd have to trim the bumper and maybe some of the body near the door portion of the fender.

OP
OP
Hunter Brzak

Hunter Brzak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The wheel/tire size will fit in the wheel wells... however, the wheel adapters will cause some rubbing issues due to them pushing everything out.

Long ago, I ran a 32x11.50/15 setup on my 2wd (no wheel adapters, can't remember if I had the 2" spindle drop or not). This combo caused a few problems when road bumps and turns were involved - fenders lips ate into the tread a little. I've since rolled my fender lips. With a 2" adapter, you'd have even more issues - you'd either tear up your tires, dent your fenders, or you'd need to cut your fenders to clear on road bumps.

With the 285/75 setup, you'd have to trim the bumper and maybe some of the body near the door portion of the fender.

They are 265/70/17 rims. 31.6” diameter. You still they’ll rub a good bit?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
265/70/17 would fit with no issues if you didn't have any adapters in play. Can't speak from experience based on your 2" wheel adapters - never had them.

The issue you're having to deal with isn't the diameter as much as the wheel/tire placement due to the wheel adapters and the clearance (turning and vertical movement).

To be 100% certain, you could ask the tire shop that is doing your install if they will test fit prior to purchase and go from there...

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 18x8 inch wheels with 265/R65-18 tires mounted. The previous owners added them, I think they're great. These tires are virtually the same diameter as stock.

2v2J4r4WmxQKds.jpg

2v2J4r4GTxQKds.jpg

Last edited:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265 70 17s will fit your truck but im not sure about those adapters. my 97 has 265 70 17s with a bit different offset to push them out a little more. i cant remember how far it is vs stock tho. i can say however if you hit a nasty bump and your jounce stops aren't up to par you will hit the inner edge of your wheel well. i have a light mark almost clear around my passenger side front wheel because of this. combination of showing off and a huge dip after sone railroad tracks. mine sit a little lower due too some other weak suspension components.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, stock tire diameter is a nominal 31.5 inches. You can go to Tirerack's web site and look up all sizes made for a given wheel diameter. You can then go to a specific tire to check diameter and recommend wheel width. There's tons of information available at Tirerack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charkmapman