1996 2 Door: Talk me out of it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buying a truck this old is certain to need repairs. whether it needs them now or not it will soon. The A/C on these trucks is notorious for going out. If it works now prepare for it to give out in the future.

Check for rust everywhere

check for coolant leaks everywhere, smell for coolant bring a powerful flash light and check all around the intake manifold. the rear side by the firewall / sides in between the valve covers / and front side dripping down behind the water pump. the intake gaskets are a pain in the ass to change on these trucks if you are not up to doing it yourself thats a good 1000$ bill right there.

if its original trans and you want to tow with it expect it to give out eventually. adding a trans cooler may help extend the life of it.

i recently bought my first ever car a 99 yukon. i basically rebuilt it within 2 weeks of getting it back ill post the thread for you.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/bought-my-first-truck-back.92140/

good luck. the 2 doors are some cool ass rigs. if its clean and runs like it should i would go for it. offer him 4k

LakeRat32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own the same rig you are looking at buying, and it is one of the better vehicles I have owned. That said, there are a few items I would like to point out for trouble issues.

1. I had to replace the front axle engagement motor on mine after owning it for about 4 months. I am rough on it, so no wonder there. But its a super simple fix.

2. Spiders. Again, these are a tricky bit if you don't have any mechanical experience, but they are an easy fix, I got a replacement set for 230 bucks from Jegs.

3. Steering. Gonna need to make sure the steering components are good. Tie rods, pittman arm, idler arm, steering box, power steering pump. These have a tendency to go out if you are doing a lot of off roading.

4. Door seals. The rear hatch seal is prone to go out, but they are simple fixes and cheap.

All that said, I am in an off road recovery group and do a lot of hard recoveries with my Tahoe. The only big issue I have had was driving through a river and getting water in the distributor. These are some tough rigs to have.

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
I got mine for a song. I got it from the original owner back in 2009 with 71,000 miles fully loaded for $5,400 cash.

My Tahoe is unique because it was custom ordered from GM new, and after running the serial number through the GM database there was only one ever made with its current configuration. The Original owner was a rich dude, and he paid more than $51K when it was new.

I've never regretted the decision, so if you have the chance, GO FOR IT before their values increase and you find yourself in that, "should have, could have, would have" situation.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine for a song. I got it from the original owner back in 2009 with 71,000 miles fully loaded for $5,400 cash.

My Tahoe is unique because it was custom ordered from GM new, and after running the serial number through the GM database there was only one ever made with its current configuration. The Original owner was a rich dude, and he paid more than $51K when it was new.

Do you ever post details about your truck and what makes it so unique? Sounds interesting.

WestPalm83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my 1996 Yukon GT with 88,000 miles for $4600 two years ago. it was garaged kept and in very good shape. i do not regret it at all even though i now have about 12K into it and looking to put another $3500 into it in the next few months

97WhiteYukon

Reaction score
If you can, and don't mind doing work on it yourself I say go for it. It will be sort of like a never ending project. Things here and there will keep coming up but you will take pride in keeping something that old on the road and running good. Weather or not that one you were looking at is right for you is your call. If you really want one you could find it sooner or later. Don't think that's the only one around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs