1996 2 Door: Talk me out of it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scoutcamper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All,

Looking at buying a 2 Door Tahoe in 2 days, it is a 1996 5.7l Vortec, 4x4, Sport Edition, 101,250 miles, passed smog. The owner wants $5000 for it which was really my max budget.

Current owner claims it runs good, shifts good, and is in great shape. The paint is about shot on it(clear coat is gone), and the leather drivers seat bolster is worn out completely.

What are reasons not to buy this? I am a college student who currently drives a Miata, so the fuel of this rig is going to be a big hit to my budget. I am a member of a Sheriffs Search and Rescue team so I do need a vehicle that has great 4x4 and a halfway decent towing capacity.

What are the first few things that will go out? When will the trans go? What about the motor? I live in Northern California where it gets to 110f regularly over the summer, so AC must work good, what maint should I be expecting on that?

Is there anything about this vehicle that would be unreliable or strand me on the side of the road? My Miata has been absolutely reliable, so I hesitate to give it up for an unknown.

Anything special I should check when I go look at it? I am planning to go see it tomorrow unless someone talks me out of it...

Thanks in advance,
Scoutcamper

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It being 21 years old, it's the little things that can nickel and dime you unless you do your own work. New tires alone can approach $1000.

A common repair is a leaking lower intake manifold gasket. It's probably already been done, but with only 100k miles, it could be original. Assume $800 for a shop to replace it, considerably less if you have the time to do it yourself. Check for coolant leaks and see if coolant is in the oil.

The a/c system is marginal when functioning perfectly, especially when compared to newer vehicles, so expect rear passengers to complain a little.

If it were me? I'd keep the Miata as a backup or have a cash cushion for little repairs if you're relying on a shop to do the work.

Good luck, it sounds like a fair price for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
lower intake gaskets and spider injection are the common problems but the truck is 20 years old so a lot of things could happen and cost you $100s !!! and the MPG is going to be a huge shock to you. if my budget was tight I would hold off on this one

now with that out of the way buy that bad boy lol

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try and get it for $4k. With the paint being bad and the issues you mentioned. If you are really into a 2 door rig, why not go for an older K5? Maybe in Cali they cost more but in my area you can get a decent K5 that's already been lifted for $5k all day long.

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUY IT!

lower intake gaskets and spider injection are the common problems but the truck is 20 years old so a lot of things could happen and cost you $100s !!! and the MPG is going to be a huge shock to you. if my budget was tight I would hold off on this one

now with that out of the way buy that bad boy lol

Lower intakes have failed in my motor 3 times. That's a cheap fix. Spider injection can be problematic, but the price of the upgraded system has dropped like $200. Being old, things can definitely fail. With it only having 101k miles, I would expect these to be mostly limited to plastic and rubber components. The truck isn't worn out, but it is old. MPG's will definitely hit your pockets harder than a Miata.

I think it would be a cheaper option for the features that you require. With a limited budget, you're going to have to go with an older vehicle. Perhaps if you could wait and spend a little more money, you could find something 10 years or so newer, and be LESS likely to run into the types of problems that this truck might. One up side, is there are PLENTY of 90's GM trucks and fullsize SUVS on the Pull-A-Part lots. Those parts are cheap as hell!

Try and get it for $4k. With the paint being bad and the issues you mentioned. If you are really into a 2 door rig, why not go for an older K5? Maybe in Cali they cost more but in my area you can get a decent K5 that's already been lifted for $5k all day long.

Yes! DO NOT PAY $5000, unless you absolutely have to. The owner will take less. Start at like $3500, and work your way to $4000 or so. The K5 wouldn't be a bad option. They'll probably run more than in Idaho though, I'm sure 4X4's are pretty common there. Then being in Cali, I don't know if they would exempt an older vehicle like this from smog or not, that may be another problem. As stated before though, the MPG's are going to suck for the 96, I suspect they'd be quite a bit worse on something as old as a K5.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't throw all budgeted funds towards the purchase price of a 20-yr-old vehicle unless you're already knowledgeable and confident about tackling repairs with your own hands & tools. All vehicles require maintenance but older vehicles require frequent repairs, and this particular vehicle could easily eat you and your wallet alive. You're far better off waiting and saving to increase your buying budget and, thus, reduce your headaches.

Now, it sounds like you dig the vehicle and have already made up your mind that you're buying it. Kind of like fighting the temptation to get that hot by batshit crazy girl. I get it. Just don't say you weren't warned. ;)

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
08HoeCD does have a very good point. Like I said as well, being an older vehicle it is most likely going to need a little work, or something could be on the verge of failing. I also feel that it is a very good vehicle to be able to find parts for. There are so many cross-over parts from the Chevy and GM truck and SUV lines. If you have a good salvage yard, between that an ebay, it won't be hard to find affordable parts.

That being said, I agree that a newer vehicle should need less work, but you'll probably need to save a little more money before the purchase. It's your money. Personally. I would buy it! :hahano:

Cajunrob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All,

Looking at buying a 2 Door Tahoe in 2 days, it is a 1996 5.7l Vortec, 4x4, Sport Edition, 101,250 miles, passed smog. The owner wants $5000 for it which was really my max budget.

Current owner claims it runs good, shifts good, and is in great shape. The paint is about shot on it(clear coat is gone), and the leather drivers seat bolster is worn out completely.

What are reasons not to buy this? I am a college student who currently drives a Miata, so the fuel of this rig is going to be a big hit to my budget. I am a member of a Sheriffs Search and Rescue team so I do need a vehicle that has great 4x4 and a halfway decent towing capacity.

What are the first few things that will go out? When will the trans go? What about the motor? I live in Northern California where it gets to 110f regularly over the summer, so AC must work good, what maint should I be expecting on that?

Is there anything about this vehicle that would be unreliable or strand me on the side of the road? My Miata has been absolutely reliable, so I hesitate to give it up for an unknown.

Anything special I should check when I go look at it? I am planning to go see it tomorrow unless someone talks me out of it...

Thanks in advance,
Scoutcamper
I bought a 96 2 door about 2 months ago. They can drain your account quickly if you are not a little mechanically inclined. ABS system, tranny, hinge pins, etc. Have a 2001 Tahoe that is pristine. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Yuta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own an 89 K5, a 90 K5 and a 99 2dr Tahoe 91k, 73k and 92k miles on them respectively. I am very happy with all. Bought them totally rust free cheaper than around here 2-3 years ago in Los Angeles, Ca. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal