170k Miles: What kind of maintenance issues should I be looking at?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, you made a good purchase. Just change out the coolant, brake fluid, and diff fluid. Brake fluid is best to be done every 2 years and diff fluid I believe is good for 50k. Coolant calls for being changed every 100k, but I do mine every 50k just to be safe.

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this again with a question: my 'Burb has the G80 rear locker. When changing the rear diff fluid do I need to add a friction additive? I know my old Montero had an LSD in the rear and it actually had a sticker on the diff cover that said fluid needed to have the friction additive in order for the LSD to work.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a fix for this? Or would it require tearing down the engine to get to?

Trans should be good, not even 20k miles on it since it was rebuilt in August 2016.

I've heard fuel pumps can go out without notice. Does anyone change theirs out pre-emptively? My understanding is that the part itself is relatively inexpensive but the expensive part is that it requires dropping the fuel tank.
Dropping the fuel tank is not hard or expensive. Some just don't want to do it because if there is 1/4 tank or more in it, it requires pumping it out. plus the danger factor. Yes, changing the fuel filter saves the pump, not running out of gas also.

Why would you consider buying a new one? Newer does not mean better.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this again with a question: my 'Burb has the G80 rear locker. When changing the rear diff fluid do I need to add a friction additive? I know my old Montero had an LSD in the rear and it actually had a sticker on the diff cover that said fluid needed to have the friction additive in order for the LSD to work.
only if the gear lube you use is not made for LSD. If it is, it already has the needed additives.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The AC Delco and Mobil synthetic fluids contain everything needed, no need to add to it, as Scott said.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 has 199K on it and has survived 8 years of wife abuse and the abuse of 4 au pairs, and now I am driving it as a daily. I just had to replace the heater hose intake fitting and that was only the second time it was ever disabled (water pump with the other time).

I change the trans fluid every 30-35K and the diffs about 35-50K and the oil every 3K (never bought into going double on synthetic even though I have done so with my german cars). I have had plugs changed once, injectors cleaned twice, and coolant flushed a couple times. That's about it.

The biggest things were the brake lines and I just changed all of the shocks for a second time to 5100's and new springs and an ebay front end kit. It's the best driving vehicle in our family. Has a lot of dents from all of the female abuse but paint still looks good and I will never ever get rid of it as long as it's still running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505