16' Escalade - Loss of power when shifted to 4wd??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly new 16 Escalade ESV. and when it is shifted into 4WD, the suv looses a very noticeable
amount of power,, I would say about a 40% reduction of power, and it also makes a low humming/groaning noise and i slight vibration when accelerating.. I have it at the Cadillac Dealership right now and they just called me and said that "it's normal for it to lose power and vibrate when it's in 4wd" This cant be normal? can it???

Thanks!

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The humming sound is likely you hearing the front drive shaft going. As for the loss of power, you shouldn't lose any power unless you're in 4-LO. Also be very careful driving in 4wd on dry pavement, you can tear your escalade up by making turns on dry pavement in 4wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i lose no power in 4wd. i do 4hi launches...its fun :D
mine also makes no extra noise when in 4hi
havent had need to try 4lo yet.

that dealership needs a better mechanic or a SMRTer service writer ;)

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much power is lost, etc...

When switching to 4hi you gotta turn more stuff--front half shafts, front diff, front driveshaft, among others. All this is more parasitic drag and thus takes more power to get going. It seems like you loose power, but in reality you gain friction.

CND17 BURBAN

Reaction score
Today when I shifted mine to 4hi it drive great until I go to do a sharp turn (all the way to lock) then I hear grinding and the truck will stop itself if i try to coast through a corner.
Normally in 2wd I don't have to use the accelerator to corner.

Nevermind I found my answer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts