15k recommended service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the service manual that says to have a 7500, 15000, 22500 service - looks like every 7500 miles, the shop handed me a sheet recommending a 20K service for $449 which includes regular service plus wipers, air filter, cabin filter, and this throttle body fuel injection: My question is why would dealer recommend something not in service manual

lol

Not everything that a dealer recommends is BS, but this particular recommendation is not a valid or worthwhile or cost-effective thing to do. If you actually had all those items performed they should cost no more than $150 total.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the shop handed me a sheet recommending a 20K service for $449 which includes regular service plus wipers, air filter, cabin filter, and this throttle body fuel injection: My question is why would dealer recommend something not in service manual

They handed you a sheet that THEY printed up.

As above, just trying to upsell you.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I checked the service manual that says to have a 7500, 15000, 22500 service - looks like every 7500 miles, the shop handed me a sheet recommending a 20K service for $449 which includes regular service plus wipers, air filter, cabin filter, and this throttle body fuel injection: My question is why would dealer recommend something not in service manual

They handed you a sheet that THEY printed up.

As above, just trying to upsell you.

It's called a wallet cleansing service, wholly designed to keep everyone at the stealership fat and happy!

maybe you can print this off and show them at the dealer that you are on to them.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I guess they figure if you can shell out 70k for the car, what's 450.00 for a service, you do want to keep it in tip top shape.

On another note my buddy at work bought a new Harley-Davidson. To keep the warranty up you have to bring it in for it's 1000 mile service which costs 400.00 dollars. you most likely gave them all of your cash for a down payment and then a month later they want more.. My 2 cents

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since my 2016 Tahoe [25K miles] was due for tire rotation,cabin filter and oil change decided to take it to the Chevrolet,GMC Buick dealer..Since I have the extended bumper to bumper warranty I like the dealer to check the Hoe out every once in awhile as normally I go to a independent to change the oil..I was waiting for the service guy to come back and tell me I needed throttle body fuel injector cleaning,alignment and other up selling stuff.

To my amazement he came to me 35 minutes later telling me my Hoe was washed and good to go..Total price 150 bucks..They said they used Mobil 1 as I requested [hope they really did] as they said Mobil 1 is not needed and the cheaper GM Synthetic oil is good enough in the 5.3.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems a little high since you can buy gallon jugs of mobil 1 at Wally world and Ac delco oil filters which you can take with you to the dealer. Ac delco air cabin filter on Ebay is about $20 with free shipping and no tax. I do my own tire rotation which is free and I don't take a chance of the tire changer banging my expensive rims with the air gun which has happened before.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems a little high since you can buy gallon jugs of mobil 1 at Wally world and Ac delco oil filters which you can take with you to the dealer. Ac delco air cabin filter on Ebay is about $20 with free shipping and no tax. I do my own tire rotation which is free and I don't take a chance of the tire changer banging my expensive rims with the air gun which has happened before.

You are absolutely right and generally I do buy own Mobil 1 at Wally world and AC Delco filter and let my independent do it the bulk of the time for 10 bucks.

Dealer said [all dealers so far said the same thing to me forever] if you bring your own oil they are going to still charge you full price.

This is only the second time the dealer serviced the Hoe in 25K miles..I change out every 5K..I just wanted to see if the dealer would come up with any issues..It will be awhile before I go back there again.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK now I understand. I just don't like to see forum members or actually anyone get ripped off by the dealers. And you mentioned it the old throttle body and injector service. These forums are great for helping people and I wish more would join as we could save them a lot of money. Think about how many customers walk into the parts department and pay full retail when all they have to do is go to ebay where dealers compete against each other on pricing and usually offer free shipping and no tax.