130k miles require valve ajustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

undy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your lifters are non-adjustable, as with all LS based engines since 97. The only way to adjust is different push rod lengths. I'd flush the oil system with some sort of engine flush additive, change oil and check oil pressures first. If that doesn't take care of it I'm afraid you'll be tearing into the engine. I'm pretty sure you have a 5.3.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that your final answer?

Not... Helpful...
I know, not helpful other than I was saying that's not normal. But you can't adjust your lifters although someone previously said you could. I'm not sure how to help you other than try a different oil and filter. What are you using now? Also, what engine do you have?

OP
OP
R

Racing4funn

Reaction score
I know, not helpful other than I was saying that's not normal. But you can't adjust your lifters although someone previously said you could. I'm not sure how to help you other than try a different oil and filter. What are you using now? Also, what engine do you have?

I was just poking at you.. I should have put a smiley face with "is that your final answer?". Im fairly stumped myself.

Im going to start with an oil change. I cant even be sure about the oil weight thats in there. Im not expecting much of a result..

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious- how did you put 130 k on that so fast? My 02 only has 155k. Or did you buy it with high mileage?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you get ALL the service records on your Yukon? Could be wrong grade oil was put in right before you got it..Just IMHO.

OP
OP
R

Racing4funn

Reaction score
I'm curious- how did you put 130 k on that so fast? My 02 only has 155k. Or did you buy it with high mileage?

bought it that way.. I agree 130k miles in this amount of time would be brutal if done by one person. Price was so good I couldnt pass it even knowing that it might need a motor and transmission. Ive plenty of under the hood stuff and I wasnt scared.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bought it that way.. I agree 130k miles in this amount of time would be brutal if done by one person. Price was so good I couldnt pass it even knowing that it might need a motor and transmission. Ive plenty of under the hood stuff and I wasnt scared.

I would much rather have it done by one person..Especially if it had service records..A livery driver I know has almost 200K miles on his 15 Suburban and it is in perfect condition and serviced every 5K miles..That is just IMHO.

kentman

Reaction score
It does not sound too outrageous to me. I hear lots of fan / water pump noise. At 130K miles, I would expect that the water pump is probably toast if it has not already been replaced. The pump could be cavitating as it gets old. Do you notice any leaks of coolant and/or oil? Do you have any milky residue on the dipstick?

It is also possible that the direct injectors are getting clogged. I have no long term experience of reliability of direct injectors out in time. It is a harsher environment in which to inject with direct injection. As they clog up, the fuel delivery will decrease causing a more lean condition. Lean is good to a point and then really bad after that point.

Lastly, I am betting that you have not swapped out the upstream O2 sensors yet. They help get the air/fuel mix correct. As they get old, the air/fuel mixture gets out of whack such that gas mileage goes down and engine performance degrades. What kind of mpg are you getting around town and on the highway?

OP
OP
R

Racing4funn

Reaction score
Lastly, I am betting that you have not swapped out the upstream O2 sensors yet. They help get the air/fuel mix correct. As they get old, the air/fuel mixture gets out of whack such that gas mileage goes down and engine performance degrades. What kind of mpg are you getting around town and on the highway?

Havent been driving it.. Getting it correct before driving might minimize damage or problems.. I will do the O2s because I see your point. Might do water pump just for reliability