'13 5.3 stutter....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, 2013 lt 5.3 hoe, k&n cai, nothing else. On local backroads (hilly windy twisting roads around here), I drive in M5, shift to M and paddle to 5, it doesnt go into v4 and it doesnt shift as much in my opinion (sometimes i even hit tow/haul). It def feels more responsive on the throttle in M but i still get some.....stutter, lag, hesitation whatever you want to call it, and its def more pronounced in D. Ive been doing this for a while, i even took the truck back to delivering dealer @ 2 months old and had the mechanic drive me around for 1/2 hour (he was happy to get out of the shop but he wanted to go on 'his test drive route' and i made him drive all over the place...lol)***he said 'feels like every other tahoe he's driven'..

My question is, after reading many posts on afm, dod, tuning and afm delete, what is the best cure?

From what i read, many of you have it (somewhat) and I understand i may never completely rid my truck of it without throwing some real money at it (cam lifters dod delete and motor crap) but will a tune get rid of it?

you guys with BB tune, is it completely gone?
You guys with hand helds, what do you feel?
Range AFM delete guys, you?

Best product/s to clean the T.B.? MAF cleaner? Maybe fuel rails? Or just some gumout, seafoam, etc?

Im really looking for what cured it, for the most part, for you. Or, was it a combination of things.

My truck runs fine (if you call a hesitation fine) no cels, no problems whatsoever. My wife says she doesn't feel it but i have a more sensitive foot, lol, and when i step on the little pedal on the right i want it to respond like i think it should. Thanks for any and all input.
-pete

Last edited:

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Range AFM on my 13 Suburban and have been very happy with the results. Always V8 mode, no stutter, no downshift or any of that hunting before I put it on. I did a bigger write up on the device in my build thread.

I personally have been very happy with it, just for the simple fact that the AFM is not active.

I have contemplated BB tuning the 13 along with the AutoCal since my 06 is tuned. But not sure. More cost to do all that, but waking up the Suburban would be great. Hope that helps a bit.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I have the Diablo Sport tuner and have AFM turned OFF and it doesn't have that stupid vibration with it off. Also the hesitation that you feel may have less to do with AFM and more to do with Torque Management.

Our trucks have torque management settings in the ECM for the engine AND in the TCM for the transmission.

When you tune with the diablo sport tuner it turns off the torque management in the ECM by default and gives you the option to reduce it or turn it off in the TCM.

GM basically cuts the torque output so that they can get through the 100,000 mile warranty without many issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518