11 Suburban radio upgrade (Factory)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwedeBurban

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got this type of radio in my 11 Burb
radio.jpg
I've found used radio with the nav on eBay.
Like this:
radiobose.jpg
I've got the 2 rood mounted dvd-screens.
Can I just buy the nav-screen radio and plug in in my burb?
Or does it need some type of calibration?
This one says Unlocked: http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNLOCKED-GM...ash=item1c8ea17180:g:~UAAAOSws5pZG2Lv&vxp=mtr just plug and play?
What about with the back up camera? i have it in the mirror.

Sorry about my bad english, im from Sweden.

Thanks
Regards from Sweden

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are different versions of the factory touchscreen radios. I did the same swap in mine, but I needed the one that didn't have the electronics for the roof-mounted monitor since I don't have that. You would need the one that has the DVD player to control the roof-mounted monitor. I've never seen a factory one that had 2 roof-mounted monitors- are they aftermarket? Any radio that's swapped in will need to be unlocked to work in your car. After you install it, as soon as you turn it on, it programs itself to the VIN of your car. This "locks" it to your car's VIN so that it won't work in someone else's car. People with the necessary equipment can unlock them from the previous car's VIN so that they will program to the new car's VIN. I bought mine used and sent it to a guy in California to get unlocked. I say you should call that company in the ebay ad and tell them what vehicle you have. They should be able to tell you what part number of radios are compatible with your car. That "2 roof mounted dvd-screen" thing has me concerned that you have an aftermarket rear seat setup that may or may not be compatible.

OP
OP
SwedeBurban

SwedeBurban

Reaction score
Thank you I really appreciate your help.
Here is my Suburban, I think the LTZ came with 2 dvd-screen in 2010.
Had 2 screens in my old 2007 and 2008 Escalade ESV.
CNH590_2187.jpg
cQtO7Q

/Eric

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh- it's a "long body" thing. Still, I've never seen that. Pretty cool.

So, your current head unit plays the DVDs for those monitors, right?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotcha. Can't say I've ever seen one like that. It's like it's a bit of a "mix-breed".

Regardless, you just need an unlocked touchscreen unit with all the features your current one has (DVD, nav, USB, etc.) with the back up camera in the mirror and not on the display. There are probably more than one GM part number of radio that would be compatible. A call to that company on eBay or to CPS Mobile Electronics (ask for Greg) should get you straight.

the42-th

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi SwedenBurban,

When choosing the Navi head unit, you should take into account the following:
1) Some of them support USB and some are not. In Russian market the switch was in 2012 but I suspect it took place much earlier in the US (our trucks are assembled locally). The head units with USB are MUCH more expensive for some reason and are usually around 800-1000 USD

2) The backlight can be different. The sellers usually write they are both Chevy and GMc compatible, but GMC ones have red backlighting instead of green.

3) GM has different head units for Bose and non-Bose audio systems (the latter one has a separate amplifier. Besides that, if I am not mistaken, the trucks older than 2012 have 2 different types of amplifiers as well (so-called, premium and regular). But I am not quite sure about it.

4) You will need to buy a GPS antenna and a harness, which are usually sold separately.

The best way to avoid mistakes will probably be contacting the seller and providing him your VIN and audio type description.

If your head unit does not have USB, then you have much better choice at good prices. Still you will need to check the backlight color and the support of the right amplifier type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts