11 Burb 4x4 Transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SwedeBurban

SwedeBurban

Reaction score
Should 12 quarts be fine? Just a quick flush whitout filter change? I'll do a filter change later on...

yugrus

Reaction score
That's the system capacity, you will use all of it. Then get some for the filter change.

OP
OP
SwedeBurban

SwedeBurban

Reaction score
Just bought an 09 Thaoe with 55.000 miles.
Have done some towing and the trany have never been serviced.
Fluid looks red but a little dark.
Should I just drop the pan, change the filter and then top it up whit 4-5 quarts?
Or should I "flush" it whit the cooler line?
Dont want to ruin my working transmission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take your pick. The old manual says to drop the pain, replace the filter and use 6 quarts to of DEX VI to refill it. The dealerships have mostly all moved to doing a fluid exchange where the TransFlow machine back flushes the pick up screen, the lines are reversed and all 12 quarts exchanged with DEX VI. The newest trucks have sealed transmissions, no more dipstick, no more service.

Since it's a pain to work around the exhaust, the fluid exchange worked for me.

OP
OP
SwedeBurban

SwedeBurban

Reaction score
Take your pick. The old manual says to drop the pain, replace the filter and use 6 quarts to of DEX VI to refill it. The dealerships have mostly all moved to doing a fluid exchange where the TransFlow machine back flushes the pick up screen, the lines are reversed and all 12 quarts exchanged with DEX VI. The newest trucks have sealed transmissions, no more dipstick, no more service.

Okay, thanks.
The fluid exchange, how many quarts do you need?

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've never heard of a truly "lifetime" transmission fill. No dipstick just means the manufacturers save $5. Imo, you need to service the transmission just as frequently. Only now it's more of a pain!

Reminds me of GM deleting the radiator petcock. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts