11 Burb 4x4 Transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwedeBurban

Reaction score
Hi,
Got a 2011 Suburban 4WD LTZ with 45k miles. No towing.
How often should you change your transmission fluid? I've got a 2011 Suburban LTZ 4x4 with 49.000 miles. I've read all from 50.000 miles and 100.000 miles.

Can i just use a electruc pump in the dipstick tube and suck some out now? Like this:
619280.jpg

And later around 100.000 miles drop the pan and do a fluid and filter change?

How many quarts in just the tranny pan?

Thanks.

Best regards from Sweden

yugrus

Reaction score
You may, but you'll get less than a half of the fluid this way. Better option is the fluid transfusion through the ATF coolant line up at the radiator. Complete fluid exchange.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

yugrus

Reaction score
The transfusion is a very simple and easy process. Could be done solo, but it works better with manpower of two. You'd need a plastic tubing, 3/8" transmission cooler line fitting, container for the old fluid, the new fluid and the ability to disconnect the quick-connect metal ATF cooler pipe at passenger side at the top of the radiator. From there, it is straight forward and easy. Put the plastic tube on the fitting, click the fitting into radiator, put the other end of the tubing into container and start the engine. When bubbles begin to show in the tubing, shut it off and refill the tranny. Do that cycle until the fresh fluid flows out of the tubing.
Did this multiple times, works like a charm.
No risk of the "flush" machine damages anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SwedeBurban

SwedeBurban

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it. What size of plastic tubing do i need to the radiator?
Start the truck and just have it in park while draning?

yugrus

Reaction score
Ugh.. Can't tell you the diameter, yours will be metric anyway... Take a look at the cooler line, that's the internal diameter that you need.
Yes, idle the engine until you see bubbles in the clear tubing. Shut off, refill, then start again. The cycle lasts for about 5-8 seconds, so watch carefully. Transmission oil pump gets it out pretty quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstcaddy