10 ply tires on a 1/2 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The time for times is quickly coming. I'm seriously considering the Falken Wildpeak at3w but they only come in 10 ply for a 285/70r17. Curious as to how much mpg I'll give up and how rough the ride is. I'll be adding Bilsteins at the same time.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it' worth I am running Michelin LT 265 70 R17's on my 1/2 ton tahoe at 40 psi. I can't tell any difference in ride harshness. I'm sure I would notice if I fill them to 80 psi but I am only going to do that when towing my 7800 lb travel trailer. Even then with all that tongue weight it still shouldn't be much difference.

I have read so many articles and many people recommend the LT tires for full size suv's for piece of mind and for stiffer sidewall leading to enhanced towing stability. Each tire is 8 lbs more so factor in a tad worse mileage.

Last edited:

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
What's the range on the TPMS? I'm sure that running them at 80 to tow sets the alarm. No biggie, you did it on purpose to tow. But does running them at 40 for DD purposes set the alarm? That would drive me nuts.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the range on the TPMS? I'm sure that running them at 80 to tow sets the alarm. No biggie, you did it on purpose to tow. But does running them at 40 for DD purposes set the alarm? That would drive me nuts.

tpms wont alarm unles pressure falls below 29 or so psi. i dont think there is a high threshold

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
tpms wont alarm unles pressure falls below 29 or so psi. i dont think there is a high threshold
I know for sure there is a high side, just can't find reliable info on what it is. Some say 44, others say up to 85. Just was curious if you got at alarm at 80.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can definitely let you know. i just got the tires a few days ago. i will start at 80 and work up from there not to exceed 90.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a tpms on my 03 so I'm in the clear there.

I'll probably do the 10 ply because I prefer a stiffer ride over the marshmallow feel it has now. Combine these with all new bushings, shocks and atomics coil over front suspension.

chevy529

Reaction score
I only asked as I have ran LT tires on my pickups for 30+ years but never ran over 50 psi under any load. You must either be packing a lot of weight in your unit or have a very large tongue weight.

P.S. I had to look up what SL meant as I have never seen a tire with that designation in it's size. At least not here in Canada. Learned something new
No. Not excessive. E rated tires are designed that way. Most people are used to SL rated passenger tires at 36 psi. But these are E rated LT tires we are talking about.
www.discounttire.com/learn/load-range-load-index

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14