1.5 ton or 3 ton floor jack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walther78

Reaction score
I have a 1.5 ton Jack and stands from Harbor Freight I used to use on my Pontiac Vibe. Now that it's gone I'm not sure if I should upgrade the jack or not? I purchased a pair of the 3 ton stands today for $20. Just don't know if the jack will lift the truck (jack is over at my rental home). If I can get it in the air with the 1.5 ton I have 4 jack stands to throw under there and I always keep the jack on there too during an oil change or any time I'm under the truck. The 3 ton is $80 next weekend but if I don't need it there's no reason to waste any extra $.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it all depends on the height it needs to raise up above 22 inches anything less it wont even get the tire off the ground i noticed this when i bought my floor jack so that basically means you need like a 2.5 or 3 ton

you can go cheap and put on a blocks or something to get it higher but me personally i dont trust stuff like that

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I bought the HF 3 ton when I had my Envoy. Worked great. I haven't tried it on my Tahoe yet.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah the big thing with full size SUVs especially 4x4s yer typical 1.5 or 2 ton jacks wont lift high enough like costco had a really nice 2 or 2.5 ton jack i bought once and i had to take it back cuz it wouldnt even get the wheels off the ground

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hf 3 ton will lift the truck pretty high with no issues. I use it all the time.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 3 ton AC Delco (I think) jack like 3 years ago and have used it for everything from a G6 to my diesels and no problems. I would over buy as it is not much more and you can never tell what you're going to need it for in the future. Only problem with it is it is very heavy and sucks lifting in the back of a truck but unless I am planning on needing it for something heavy I just take a smaller jack.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 TON is way too short personally. I use some old scissor jack I have for this rig. I'll get getting the 3ton eventually...

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
i have a 3 ton craftsman it gets the job done but it is HEAVY...... most of the time i use my 10 ton air jack!

tunedbytuna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 3 Ton Craftsman struggled with my Tahoe, I picked up a 4 Ton at Harbor Freight and it works effortlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish