09 Tahoe variable charging question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark567

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I accidentally ran the battery in my 09 Tahoe down the other day, it’s a 6 month old AC Delco OEM battery. I gave it a jump, checked it with my scanner (Innova 3160) and it said I have a “surface charge” and to run the high beams for 5 minutes to dissipate it. Did that a couple of times actually.

I also put a charger on it because the alternator was running maxed out and couldn't make up the difference.

The standing voltage on the battery now ranges from 12.7 - 13.0 volts and the charging system is steady at 14.5 volts, but the voltage gauge is not variating like it should (and did until this happened). I took it to my local shop and the owner put his Snap On scanner on it and it’s not showing anything, all clear.

No codes, no lights and nothing on the DIC.

Will this just take a while to level out?

Is there something that needs to be reset?

Or, did I mess something up?

Any help or ideas are more than welcome! I’m scratching my head here.

Thanks,

Mark

OP
OP
M

Mark567

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s fixed now.

I had the battery and everything tested and everything is working but the scanner is saying the CAT and EVA monitors haven’t run. I looked that up and found a drive cycle would resolve that. I did the cycle this morning (luckily I live on a country highway) and just as soon as I finished it the voltmeter began to drop and it now goes through the different stages of charging modes.

The monitors haven’t run yet as it can take up to 5 cycles to determine the state of the catalyst but whatever else happens during the drive cycle must also include resetting the RVC system as well.

So it’s safe to say if you change your battery and don’t maintain current on your system or you run your battery down you could cause a few different problems, or more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442