'09 LTZ 5.3L Gain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The autocal lets you flash the tune files. You could put it back to stock if you wanted to take it in to a dealer for something, change between tow/haul and haul a$$, update based on future mods/upgrades. Black bear will retune for free and email files.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just on their website. Is the $600 (Autocal) worth a mild tune if I don't plan on cam swap or force induction or anything like that?
Yes, I completely think so. No cam or other mods needed... unless you want to unlock the full potential of the motor but still for the price..... ya can’t beat it....like a sore d***

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a bone stock 2009 LTZ (at least that s what the badging says, VIN check says COMMERCIAL TRIM?) but its loaded (ie. heated/colled front seat, 4 captains chairs, rear captains are heated and power fold, power rear gate, power/heated mirrors) and tow a boat. What can I do without breaking the bank to gain some hp/tq to make the long hills and pulling the boat out of the water a bit easier?

TIA

Thanks for posting the RPO sheet. It is not a commercial vehicle. The confusion may have come from assigning the 8th digit's zero to the 7th position in the VIN. The zero is your engine, the iron block LMG 5.3 LS engine. Your truck is a K1, a Tahoe LS but it has at least an LT option package (RPO= SLT) and maybe more (STZ).

You can pay $5 over at compnine and decode the VIN or send GM an email on Monday and they'll do the same for free. I picked up an extra RPO code when GM sent mine, never having bothered to check either against my RPO sheet.

I liked the way my truck drove and performed when I bought it, no complaints. I also wanted the AFM system turned off so I met up with BlackBear and had a custom tune done, a mild one at my request, which turned off AFM and greatly improved how the truck drives over time. I do not know the rear wheel horsepower figures with the original tune, just its SAE NET rating of 310 HP. Took the truck to the track and it made 302 Rear Wheel Horsepower with a bad catalytic converter. I reckon that's at least twenty or thirty horsepower unshackled via the tune.

As for hauling the boat out of the water, stick the transfer case into 4LO. If you are running a highway tire and the ramp is slippery, consider airing down your tires to 20 psi or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silent D

Silent D

Reaction score
Great, thanks for all the info.

I just noticed how bad this is getting so need to figuer out if I'm going to get it fixed and keep this rig, which I'd much prefer, or end up getting rid of it. I'd hate to spend the money on a ture just for the body to rust out. 0F6811D3-5D51-42FE-9806-E0F32CAC1DB6.jpeg

sfc_jones

Reaction score
I hate rust, I would get this up on lift and really check it out. check out above the coils and under the doors. Another bad spot is above the gas tank.
You can also do a can tune but it will not give you the option of turning off the AFM. Only a delete in my opinion is the best option. Put a set of LS7 lifters and LS7 cam to retain stock performance or put a low lift cam or up to a stage 2 cam with a tune and long tube headers and I know a smile will be on your face when you crank it up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne