08 tahoe ltz cyl shutdown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ta08hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems to me its only kicking down to 4cyl mode when going down a hill or decelerating! Is this normal I thought it would be in 4cyl mode when cruise is set or steady speed on flat ground? This is my first tahoe and newest vehicle I have ever owned so I don't know what is normal!

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine was active, I noticed it doing the same thing on my 09. I disabled mine via tuner. I'd rather spend the $1.00 extra in fuel cost than the thousands for repairing the lifter failure but that's just me.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only when there is no load on engine
Even on cruise it needs gas to keep speed... kinda like foot on gas foot off gas... watch it on a straight level road in cruise, itll change

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As what's been said- it depends on a number of factors, engine load being the main one. If you're cruising on flat land around 70 or lower, you should see it go into 4 cyl. mode more often and for longer. Dips in the roadway and headwinds will easily put it back into 8 cyl. mode. Higher cruising speeds will minimize 4 cyl. mode as well. You're better off disabling it with a tune or Range module.

OP
OP
ta08hoe

ta08hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really I see more guys wanting to delete it than have it is everyone having that many problems with it

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine works perfect but someday it won't and they usually don't give too much warning. Now down here in the south while on the highway, it's tough for it to keep in 4V mode. Reason being as every couple of miles you're usually passing over another road and so the motor kicks the other 4 cylinders back in and by the time it settles down there another and another bridge to cross.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine works perfect but someday it won't and they usually don't give too much warning. Now down here in the south while on the highway, it's tough for it to keep in 4V mode. Reason being as every couple hundred yards you're having to slow to 10-20MPH under the flow of the rest of the traffic to avoid rear-ending a Camaro creeping in the left lane and then flooring it to avoid being ran over by an 18-wheeler going 85MPH in the right lane.

FYP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhefner

Latest posts