08 Tahoe 6.0L LFA - Bent Rod??? Is That Even Likely?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't built a motor in twenty plus years but when I did all decking was done at the machine shop on mill (milling machine) if memory serves. You can sand a block's deck while in the car, carefully, but decking it? That's a new one to me, but then again, I've been out of the game for a while.

In a few days we'll be passing through Valdosta, not Savannah this time.

Let me check my service manual about LS cylinder pressures...

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I don't disagree with you. I would also think that a proper leak down test would help him find the source of the leak. All the other cylinders are around 135.

Since I don't *need* it right now, I'm willing to let him do what he can. If I'm stuck with a $1500 bill and I still get a misfire, there will be other repercussions ie, BBB, Google reviews, Yelp!, etc.

Let me check my service manual about LS cylinder pressures...
Keep in mind, the hybrid block is an LFA - Aluminum block. I'm sure he just sanded on car.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I could not find the factory pressure specs but since every gauge can read different, consistency between cylinders is what you want. If they're all within 10% than it should be good. The numbers, like Dub said, are quite low though.

So is it running now? Have you listened and driven it?

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I could not find the factory pressure specs but since every gauge can read different, consistency between cylinders is what you want. If they're all within 10% than it should be good. The numbers, like Dub said, are quite low though.

So is it running now? Have you listened and driven it?
I haven't. His business hours are the same as mine.

UPDATE: He called me this morning and gave me an update. He said there was an oiling problem and that the oil lubricating the lifters was contaminated by "additives" causing the AFM ports to clog with debris and gunk in turn causing the camshaft lobes to wear. Seems consistent with his previous statements, and jives with the fact that Cylinder 6 is an AFM cylinder. Replacing everything for about the same as what he did before, this time cleaning out all the oil ports. $1600, give or take. Any other shop would replace the engine instead for $5K.

Not happy - but the dealer wanted $4K just to inspect the camshaft.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What additives? For all this money being spent, why not just remove the AFM system? What about the bent rod and low compression? This guy tells convincing stories.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Right- what additives? And how did they clog the lifters in such a short time? How does a clogged ROLLER lifter wipe a cam lobe? Can he show you these parts (failed lifter(s), wiped cam lobe...)?

Yes, the AFM lifters are more sensitive to buildup and even oil viscosities. But, it usually just makes them pump up more slowly which just causes ticking for a couple of seconds at a cold start.

I'm still not convinced.

I agree with deleting the AFM so you'll never have to worry about it again. Since he's going that deep into the motor again, the only additional step this would add to everything is turning it off in the programming.

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good advice. St lady we all know it's not a bent rod. All I can figure is that he was just joking with me that first day - which makes him an ass - but fits his personality.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardy har har. Funny joke. "Let's 'joke' with this guy to see if he'll agree to paying for a replacement motor..."

Sounds like you're making excuses for this swindler to help yourself feel better about the situation.

Anyway, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you...

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your candor and I share your sentiment. But what I can I do about it? I'm at his mercy.

I don't like this being with him any less than anyone else would. Honestly, now I'm concerned that if "sludge" clogged the ports from "detergent" in the oil, that caused the lifters to stick enough to grind down the cam, then ... what about the odd-cylinder side? Will I have to replace that next?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sludge from detergents in the oil, these are lies being foisted upon you by a dishonest man. Sludge... this gets more outrageous every time he talks to you...

Go over there, pay your bill, and drive or have your truck towed home.

Then find a forum member from here or a shop nearby that specializes in LS engines. They can easily pull both heads, look everything over and then remove the AFM/DOD system from your engine and tune it out of your ECM. This can be done for about $2,0000 and probably less. If you're reasonably fit, can read a manual and use basic hand tools, you can do it yourself and save even more and gain the confidence you need to keep from getting taken by thugs like these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons