'08 Denali Rotor replacement: caliper bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rook

Reaction score
I'm doing much needed rotor and brake pad replacement, and WTF, I can't get the caliper bolts off? Breaker bar, impact wrench, no luck - do they come off clockwise or something???

I'm not exactly a slouch, I've done a hub/rotor/brake job on my K2500 and other vehicles... This one just stopped me in my tracks. One thing j don't have is an electric impact gun, my air is a little small, but still seems like overkill. Anyone had same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine were on really tight as well I had to use penetrating oil a breaker bar and all my weight to break them loose.

gGM Fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced mine yesterday and the right front top only was really tight. The only thing I could think of was musing a hammer to break it lose, it worked but not really happy about that. On a side note, my right rear inside pad was completely worn, outside was ok. The left rear inner and out were worn but worn evenly. Anyone know why? When you replace your rears, can you let me know if the pads are worn evenly? Thanks

OP
OP
R

rook

Reaction score
Yeah I'll take a shot if I go grab some rears - I was only going to do the fronts because the rear outsides looked good but now your post has me thinking to go for them all.

I'm hoping a larger compressor and some penetrating oil will knock it all loose.

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced mine yesterday and the right front top only was really tight. The only thing I could think of was musing a hammer to break it lose, it worked but not really happy about that. On a side note, my right rear inside pad was completely worn, outside was ok. The left rear inner and out were worn but worn evenly. Anyone know why? When you replace your rears, can you let me know if the pads are worn evenly? Thanks

You might have a sticky caliper which is not releasing the pad all the way. A replacement caliper can be had for cheap.

OP
OP
R

rook

Reaction score
...On a side note, my right rear inside pad was completely worn, outside was ok. The left rear inner and out were worn but worn evenly. Anyone know why?

In my experience, this is usually caused by one or both of the caliper bolts that allow the caliper assembly to "slide" losing all of its grease, making it lock up.

There are typically four bolts: two that attach the caliper to the hub, and two that attach the inner caliper assembly to the outer assembly. Obviously, different vehicles have different stuff, but this is most common. The latter have a long smooth portion that slide in/out allowing even wear of the inner/outer pad. These two bolts also typically have a rubber kind of "boot" at one end. If water gets in there, dirt, whatever, it can lock up and freeze. Of you still have a smooth bolt without a bunch of corrosion and rust, you can just clean it and grease it real good, and it should be fine.

Last edited:

VICDBOSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same exact problem on my 07. I injured my right shoulder because of it. Took months to heal.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Good times!

Penetrating oil the night before, 18mm impact socket, 1/2" breaker bar with a pipe on the end.

I had all four that were "stubborn" on the front.
I broke my thin wall socket with the breaker bar alone. Threw the 18mm box end on it, put a pipe on that and bent it. Lol. Grabbed the impact socket and 1/2" breaker bar and hammer-tapped it until it broke loose.
Most of the bolt heads were starting to round at this point so i replaced them. Cheap enough, most parts houses carry them.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Good luck with the caliper bolts. And I wish you even more luck with the torq bit screw that holds the rotor in place. I stripped both sides trying to remove these. Once I got them off I didn't add new ones.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Good luck with the caliper bolts. And I wish you even more luck with the torq bit screw that holds the rotor in place. I stripped both sides trying to remove these. Once I got them off I didn't add new ones.

Ah yes those little bastard screws...lol. One was missing and the other was beat to hell. I did order two from the dealer. 8 bucks each. Necessary? No. But I like things complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518