07 vs 12 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am buying either an 07 or 12 Z71 today and thought I would get some final advice or opinions. Both are fully loaded with same options like nav capt chairs sunroof etc. The 07 is 18k with 94k miles. The 12 is 22 k with 112k miles. Any real reason to get the newer one with slightly more miles and more money vs the older one with less miles and cheaper?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
07 has 4 speed trans.
12 has 6 speed trans.

12 might have air conditioned seats.
07 that wasn't an option.

Personal preference really.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 has 4 speed trans.
12 has 6 speed trans.

12 might have air conditioned seats.
07 that wasn't an option.

Personal preference really.

It's just this simple.

If both vehicles shake out about the same after a careful inspection and thorough test drive, I'd go for the '07. Personal preference.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'm not an NNBS guy, but the 07 was the first year of that body style, so thinking maybe a few little kinks that got worked out by the 12 run? Maybe someone can chime in who may know more?

At the same time, lower miles and cheaper is never bad.

OP
OP
MCAT069

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not an NNBS guy, but the 07 was the first year of that body style, so thinking maybe a few little kinks that got worked out by the 12 run? Maybe someone can chime in who may know more?

At the same time, lower miles and cheaper is never bad.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Is the 6 speed tranny significantly better?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Its significantly more expensive to repair/replace... My brother just put one in his 2012 Silverado... LKQ remanufactured= $3500

And the fuel eeconomy is not any better than the 4 speed from what I understand.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven only a 4-speed NNBS trans, but I have read that the 6-speed is more inclined to hunt gears than the 4-speed during everyday driving.

I'd drive both and decide.

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's marginal, but I think the 6 speed is a much better trans than the 4L65E. Also, it seems like a lot of 07-08's had weird problems that I can only attribute to cost-cutting, the bailouts, etc, especially the LTZ's and stuff with lots of power accessories like power steps, etc. I guess it depends on how many miles you plan on putting on it, and which one feels like a better vehicle to you. We can't judge how a truck drives over the web.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
It's marginal, but I think the 6 speed is a much better trans than the 4L65E. Also, it seems like a lot of 07-08's had weird problems that I can only attribute to cost-cutting, the bailouts, etc, especially the LTZ's and stuff with lots of power accessories like power steps, etc. I guess it depends on how many miles you plan on putting on it, and which one feels like a better vehicle to you. We can't judge how a truck drives over the web.

These are the kind of "kinks" I was thinking of. I think the first year of a new style is often like this, just don't know that definitively about these trucks because I haven't had one.

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are the kind of "kinks" I was thinking of. I think the first year of a new style is often like this, just don't know that definitively about these trucks because I haven't had one.
I think that's part of it too. A buddy works at a dealer and they have had weird stuff coming in for years. One Suburban with the power steps, one side would go up, and the other side would drop, and they couldn't get them back in sync for the life of them, it was some weird glitch, it was commanding one side up and the other side down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17