07 Tahoe performance upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oiled filters have a bad rep because of people who do not prep them correctly.
I have used them for years with zero issues. I also know quite a few people who use them who have had no issues.
Its the jacklegs who get them, oil the sh*t out of them install them and go.
I wouldn't consider one better than the other. Its all what you prefer.

You know this and I know this. Reality is that the only people who have not had at least an initial issue with oiled filters, are the people who have had someone show them the proper way to oil and prep the filter or the people who under oil the filter. Everyone else had to deal with the learning curve. It must have taken 5 or 6 tries with that first K&N filter before the person teaching me would let me install it and run it. I think we only stopped there because we ran out of beer. Never had an issue on a personal vehicle, but have helped several friends clean up from over oiling the filter.

I recommend the dry filter because on the internet, threads start with something like "Got a K&N today!!!" and end up like "why does my MAF keep failing and my truck run like crap."

The dry filter helps minimize an opportunity for user error. At least in that sense, it is better than an oiled filter.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still trying to decide on the LTs. From what I've seen and my application, LTs may not be worth the money. Just the intake tube and the tune. Talked to a tuner today and he was even skeptical about tuning at such high mileage.

Any thoughs?

Why is he skeptical? Because of the mileage? Inquire with BlackBear, they are sponsors.

Think about the guys that pull out motors at pick-n-pulls throw turbos on them and push tons of boost down there throats. Its been recorded many times how these LS based motors run. Not only are they back yard mechanics, they are also well know builders.

If I were you, I'd go through it with a fine tooth comb first. Give it a thorough tune up and go from there.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree the black oily stuff all in the throttle body and intake manifold is bad. I clean my throttle body and MAF every 3 months, wipe out the intake manifold and air tube from my K&N 57. That being said the Jet throttle body was a great upgrade for me, somewhat noticeable difference in power!

The black oily stuff is oil from the wonderful DOD, not from the filters. A catchcan will help with that.

You know this and I know this. Reality is that the only people who have not had at least an initial issue with oiled filters, are the people who have had someone show them the proper way to oil and prep the filter or the people who under oil the filter. Everyone else had to deal with the learning curve. It must have taken 5 or 6 tries with that first K&N filter before the person teaching me would let me install it and run it. I think we only stopped there because we ran out of beer. Never had an issue on a personal vehicle, but have helped several friends clean up from over oiling the filter.

I recommend the dry filter because on the internet, threads start with something like "Got a K&N today!!!" and end up like "why does my MAF keep failing and my truck run like crap."

The dry filter helps minimize an opportunity for user error. At least in that sense, it is better than an oiled filter.

Well, I learned by myself. I actually didn't have an issue even the first time. Not saying I oiled and installed it oh no I oiled then rinsed then oiled then rinsed and oiled again to make sure I did it correctly. Theres wasn't enough beer in the world to have to go through that again, hahaha.
Another thing I did was buy two filters, I would prep one, let it sit over night and install the next day.

I'll agree with yah there, dry certainly does help minimize user error.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "black oily film" is a PCV thing (or maybe a b rated horror flick) and was happening long before DOD. A catch can will help to cut down on it though.

OP
OP
B

Burnswil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is he skeptical? Because of the mileage? Inquire with BlackBear, they are sponsors.

Think about the guys that pull out motors at pick-n-pulls throw turbos on them and push tons of boost down there throats. Its been recorded many times how these LS based motors run. Not only are they back yard mechanics, they are also well know builders.

If I were you, I'd go through it with a fine tooth comb first. Give it a thorough tune up and go from there.

He is skeptical not so much because of the engine, but because of the rest of the drivetrain. He was unsure about throwing the extra HP at it. I will also talk to blackbear as I originally was planning on using them. This guy is local and had a good recommendation so I gave him a call.

I'm getting the Tahoe from my parents and know it's been well maintained. Was still thinking about replacing the spark plugs and wires, having all the fluids flushed, checking the hoses and belts, and replacing the brakes. Anyone put ceramics on?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "black oily film" is a PCV thing (or maybe a b rated horror flick) and was happening long before DOD. A catch can will help to cut down on it though.

Correct, I was thinking consumption for some odd reason.

He is skeptical not so much because of the engine, but because of the rest of the drivetrain. He was unsure about throwing the extra HP at it. I will also talk to blackbear as I originally was planning on using them. This guy is local and had a good recommendation so I gave him a call.

I'm getting the Tahoe from my parents and know it's been well maintained. Was still thinking about replacing the spark plugs and wires, having all the fluids flushed, checking the hoses and belts, and replacing the brakes. Anyone put ceramics on?

Understandable. Is this Tahoe 2 or 4wd?
I actually agree with you about getting someone local, its easier to deal with someone in person. If you didn't have anybody close by BB is the way to go.

Man that's awesome, congrats. That's one hand me down I'd love to accept haha.
I got my brakes form autoanything, don't remember what pads I have. It was a complete kit.

OP
OP
B

Burnswil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, I was thinking consumption for some odd reason.

Understandable. Is this Tahoe 2 or 4wd?
I actually agree with you about getting someone local, its easier to deal with someone in person. If you didn't have anybody close by BB is the way to go.

Man that's awesome, congrats. That's one hand me down I'd love to accept haha.
I got my brakes form autoanything, don't remember what pads I have. It was a complete kit.
I'm in the motor city so plenty of tuners around.

The Tahoe is 4wd.

OP
OP
B

Burnswil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Food for thought regarding getting a "tune": http://www.efidynotuning.com/dynofacts.htm
After talking to a few different tuners in the area, I'm going with BBP. One local tuner wanted to do something similar to the BB process for the same price. Another was more expensive and after all the outstanding reviews BB has on the forums, that has made up my mind. BBP it is!

992dr suggested speed engineering for the LT headers. A question about them. They are offered with the y pipe and all of the clamps etc... Or you can get them as just the headers. I would like to order these but want to understand a little more about installation. If I get the full kit, y pipes and all, is it a bolt on system or will they still need to be cut and welded and all of that? Trying to decide which is the best way to go for performance and ease of installation. Any feedback would be great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9