07 Tahoe cabin air filter addition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone added a cabin air filter to their Tahoe? Just wondering if there are any write ups on doing the retrofit. Thanks!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
If you look under the dash on the passenger side, you will see a post with a hole for the door screw, and a filter sized rectangle going towards the engine bay. Cut out the rectangle with a new utility blade (just like cutting vinyl siding). Insert filter. Put on door. The Dorman kit comes with a carbon filter, the door, and the screw.

Chuckb5243

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To anyone one that has retrofit the cabin air filter, caution, their more than likely will be mold growth! I noticed an odor and when I cut open the compartment, it had standing water and mold growth throughout (pictures attached). I had it steam cleaned to get the majority of the growth out. GM informed me that they would not be able to "assist" me with the necessary sanitation because apparently I was the first person with this issue.

My understanding is that they have not equipped cabin air filters from ~2005 and on, so I have a hard time believing no other similar model does not have the same issue.

I have since filed a complaint with the National Highway Safety Administration, but feel nothing with come of it unless more people are made aware of the issue and report it to https://www.nhtsa.gov/ Please, if you retrofit and notice mold growth or know anyone who may also have a similar vehicle, to post the issue on the NHTSA website so that we may all live a healthier life.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck

IMG_0231 (1).JPG IMG_0233 (1).JPG IMG_0230 (1).JPG IMG_0236 (1).JPG IMG_0237 (1).JPG

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, you are supposed to turn the a/c off and runthe heat a few minutes before you turn off the vehicle..... it dries out the box....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One might wonder if where he lives and how he uses the truck contributes to this mold growth. Not implying that he's doing anything wrong, but once the conditions of mold growth are determined then his environment and use of the truck can be altered to prevent or deter this from happening again.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Actually, you are supposed to turn the a/c off and runthe heat a few minutes before you turn off the vehicle..... it dries out the box....

Yea Pete, you are probably correct but I doubt anybody in their right mind would even think about doing that especially if you live south of New York. and I haven't heard of that either. This ain't my first rodeo.

But on a serious note it could explain a musty odor in the cabin.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chevy actually told my b-i-l that when his new 07 malibu started stinking like that..... then they cut it open and put a filter in... no lie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094