07 Denali won't move in fwd or rev until 1000rmp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I was working on a customers car today and they had a similar concern and I thought of this thread. Turns out that they had a seized caliper and once you hit the gas had it enough it move. Have you checked your brakes by chance?

OP
OP
M

Malik112099

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in a reply. I got it over to a transmission shop here in town. They hooked it up and it is throwing codes for the tranny electronics is basically what the guy said. The delay mostly stopped but it has been hard shifting, making like a whirring sound during shifting and downshifting and also feels like it cant figure out the right gear to go in. I've been quoted about $3800 out the door for a reman tranny with a 3 year warranty. At 236,000 miles I am considering this to be the way to go. I am picking it up today and the wife will limp it around by the house (she works about 1/4 mile from our house) and will most likely drop it off next Thursday or Friday and pick it up on the 15th. I am interested in getting the code and looking it up online. In either case I knew a rebuild/new transmission was in the near future and (even though my wife disagrees) I think fixing it and keeping it is the way to go. It is in great shape and she loves the size and I'm not going to buy a newer one for an arm and a leg.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where thats a nice hunk of money, if you like the truck, and everything else is up to date on maint, even a good used car would cost more, and then you dont know whats been done to it over its life.

ive have a new tranny or two installed over the years. its nice when you get a good rebuild.

for that money, make sure they are going to change all the clutches and seals and any other common wear items. ask them if they can install a shift kit too. that will make it shift firmer and in the end make it last longer.

sadly many shops will find whats causing the issue then replace just those parts, leaving the rest of the re build kit on the shelf. ( you know to use its left over parts in other cars) so you get a repaired tranny, not fully rebuilt.

say it was slipping in first gear, they install new first gear clutches and reinstall all the old crap. aka repaired, not rebuilt.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Did they give you specific codes? Depending what it is it could be way cheaper to just replace the failed part like let’s say if it was a pressure sensor as to replacing the entire trans itself.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3800 is a big waste of money. For that you can get one straight from gm at that price. Anyway, the 07 had a problem from the factory with the oring in the transmission pump wearing out. The new design pump is needed and fixes that problem you're having. If yourey still thinking about spending the 3800 just go to gm and get the transmission. It comes with a warranty as well.

Wambliokiye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have kinda the same issue. But when I try and check fluid at I guess operations temp kinda hard to temp wont go above 140. Also it sometimes feels like when I take off from a stop I'm pulling a mountain and then jerks to second. Is this just how 6 gears works? Use to four speed?

OP
OP
M

Malik112099

Reaction score
I was working on a customers car today and they had a similar concern and I thought of this thread. Turns out that they had a seized caliper and once you hit the gas had it enough it move. Have you checked your brakes by chance?

Brakes were replaced a few months ago. In the driveway the truck would roll backwards before the transmission (or whatever) would kick in so it definitely wasn't brakes.

OP
OP
M

Malik112099

Reaction score
where thats a nice hunk of money, if you like the truck, and everything else is up to date on maint, even a good used car would cost more, and then you dont know whats been done to it over its life.

ive have a new tranny or two installed over the years. its nice when you get a good rebuild.

for that money, make sure they are going to change all the clutches and seals and any other common wear items. ask them if they can install a shift kit too. that will make it shift firmer and in the end make it last longer.

sadly many shops will find whats causing the issue then replace just those parts, leaving the rest of the re build kit on the shelf. ( you know to use its left over parts in other cars) so you get a repaired tranny, not fully rebuilt.

say it was slipping in first gear, they install new first gear clutches and reinstall all the old crap. aka repaired, not rebuilt.

I bought it for about half it's book value last year and fully expected a new tranny was going to be needed relatively soon so I am fine with it. They are replacing the whole entire transmission with a new factory built one with a warranty.

Did they give you specific codes? Depending what it is it could be way cheaper to just replace the failed part like let’s say if it was a pressure sensor as to replacing the entire trans itself.

No they didn't. I assumed over the phone it had actually thrown a CEL and when we picked it up it was after hours so I couldn't talk to them at the time. We have been limping it around locally and it definitely has gotten worse/erratic

3800 is a big waste of money. For that you can get one straight from gm at that price. Anyway, the 07 had a problem from the factory with the oring in the transmission pump wearing out. The new design pump is needed and fixes that problem you're having. If yourey still thinking about spending the 3800 just go to gm and get the transmission. It comes with a warranty as well.

$3,800 is for a replacement transmission installed.

OP
OP
M

Malik112099

Reaction score
Just picked it up. Came out to $3628 out the door. New certified transmission with a 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty. It runs perfect. Shop said it was bad when they pulled the old one. Took them a bit to get all of the metal out of the system. I am more than happy with the price for what I got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts