07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooeasy

Reaction score
Tahoe PS Brakes Front.jpg Tahoe PS Brakes Rear.jpg Power Stop OEM style kits, Front KCOE-2069; Rear KCOE-2047.

Upgraded the front pads from the OEM Z16 style to Z23 Evolution Sport.

I took a few minutes to paint the calipers red (they come silver).

I had planned to install stainless hoses but the steel lines are so crusty from Michigan rust that almost certainly they will twist and break, so that's going to have to wait until I have time to replace the steel lines as well. After 160k miles on the originals, I'm sure the stainless lines will be a big improvement.

I opted for the plain, stock style rotors as I agree with others in this thread that the slotted/drilled rotors offer no benefit for street use. Those are designed for track day cars where heat dissipation is a concern. Plus, IMO the reduction in swept area kind of cancels out the switch to bigger rotors. Unless you're towing a lot, or commute daily in Southern California type traffic, or just like the look, I can't justify the extra expense.

Bought this stuff from Jeg's, the front kit was $248, rear $260, Z23 front pads $53, total $561. (I'm hoping to get $30 or so back when I sell the stock Z16 pads.)

Free shipping, and get this: NO core charges!

Rock Auto was a bit cheaper, but the idea of going to the wrecking yard to buy cores, and paying to ship them back was a deal breaker.

Are they worth it? Absolutely. Is it a night and day difference? No, but it's still a remarkable improvement and given the fact that the older fronts were actually a bit more money (about $30 when I priced things), it's a no brainer.

The pedal feel is much more linear, and the brakes start to grab much more quickly. (My brakes were working fine, with only about 35k since the last brake service, so I'm comparing brakes were in good working order.) In short, the Tahoe is no longer scary to drive.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 190780 View attachment 190781 Power Stop OEM style kits, Front KCOE-2069; Rear KCOE-2047.

I had planned to install stainless hoses but the steel lines are so crusty from Michigan rust that almost certainly they will twist and break, so that's going to have to wait until I have time to replace the steel lines as well. After 160k miles on the originals, I'm sure the stainless lines will be a big improvement.

I opted for the plain, stock style rotors as I agree with others in this thread that the slotted/drilled rotors offer no benefit for street use. Those are designed for track day cars where heat dissipation is a concern. Plus, IMO the reduction in swept area kind of cancels out the switch to bigger rotors. Unless you're towing a lot, or commute daily in Southern California type traffic, or just like the look, I can't justify the extra expense.

Bought this stuff from Jeg's, the front kit was $248, rear $260, Z23 front pads $53, total $561. (I'm hoping to get $30 or so back when I sell the stock Z16 pads.)

Rock Auto was a bit cheaper, but the idea of going to the wrecking yard to buy cores, and paying to ship them back was a deal breaker.

Are they worth it? Absolutely. Is it a night and day difference? No, but it's still a remarkable improvement and given the fact that the older fronts were actually a bit more money (about $30 when I priced things), it's a no brainer.

The pedal feel is much more linear, and the brakes start to grab much more quickly. (My brakes were working fine, with only about 35k since the last brake service, so I'm comparing brakes were in good working order.) In short, the Tahoe is no longer scary to drive.
Why would you have to go buy cores? I sent my old NBS back to Amazon for cores and they never said a word. The people receiving cores don't know the difference.
BTW excellent paint job.

tooeasy

Reaction score
Rock Auto actually has a disclaimer "returned cores must be exactly the same" and
"no junkyard parts accepted" (how would they know?)
(I just tried to bring up their site to get the exact wording but it's down.)
Didn't want to take a chance that they'd refuse them. Plus, just didn't want the hassle.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 190780 View attachment 190781 Power Stop OEM style kits, Front KCOE-2069; Rear KCOE-2047.

I agree with your thoughts on blank rotors

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tooeasy Do you have a link to the ones you got? I'm leaning towards the nnbs upgrade but want to make sure I get the ones that don't need a core

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my rotors, calipers, and pads to fit a 2007 Suburban, and everything bolted up perfectly to my 2001 Suburban. I ordered all my stuff from Rockauto except for the rotors. I ordered the rotors from "Brakemotive" on eBay. Brakemotive sells Powerstop rotors and I have bought several sets for several different vehicles from them over many years now. Their prices simply cannot be beat. Two HEAVY front rotors for just over $100 SHIPPED! Rockauto was about the same price, but they want $40 for shipping on the brake rotors. So with free shipping, Brakemotive's prices can't be beat. I was also able to get the new Black Zinc plated Powerstop rotors from them, Rockauto doesn't even sell the black ones. Here's a picture of my black NNBS rotor next to the old NBS Powerstop rotors that have been on my truck since 2009.View attachment 188230
How do you like the drilled/slotted rotors? Curious if you have hydroboost too. I know what's been said about them but I want some real world experience. I have slotted rotors from R1 on my GTO and am considering these new one ls for the hoe. I figure I should have plenty of grab with my hydroboost system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk 88b4d0db91ef49f62e0692baa12c884c.jpg

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
How do you like the drilled/slotted rotors? Curious if you have hydroboost too. I know what's been said about them but I want some real world experience. I have slotted rotors from R1 on my GTO and am considering these new one ls for the hoe. I figure I should have plenty of grab with my hydroboost system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk 88b4d0db91ef49f62e0692baa12c884c.jpg

Those are top on my list for my upgrade as well...

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also went with R1's E lines with ceramic pads with the stock brakes. have hydro boost, truck stops great. ive used r1 in the past, its all im ever using from now on. nothing else for the price will work as well. ive spent more and got nothing compared to the r1 braking. buy em off ebay its 200 shipped for all 4 corners.

019.jpg

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The drilled and slotted rotors on my truck work great. Back in 2010, I've gone from stock rotors to the drilled and slotted and that alone was a huge upgrade. Then a few months back I replaced them yet again and swapped the stock size drilled and slotted for the 07 drilled and slotted which was another improvement. Not as big as an improvement as I was hoping for,a but it was definitely a noticeable difference. And I don't have hydroboost. I've considered rounding up all the parts and doing the hydroboost upgrade, but at the moment I am pretty satisfied with the way my truck stops so it's not a priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts