07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my rotors, calipers, and pads to fit a 2007 Suburban, and everything bolted up perfectly to my 2001 Suburban. I ordered all my stuff from Rockauto except for the rotors. I ordered the rotors from "Brakemotive" on eBay. Brakemotive sells Powerstop rotors and I have bought several sets for several different vehicles from them over many years now. Their prices simply cannot be beat. Two HEAVY front rotors for just over $100 SHIPPED! Rockauto was about the same price, but they want $40 for shipping on the brake rotors. So with free shipping, Brakemotive's prices can't be beat. I was also able to get the new Black Zinc plated Powerstop rotors from them, Rockauto doesn't even sell the black ones. Here's a picture of my black NNBS rotor next to the old NBS Powerstop rotors that have been on my truck since 2009.IMG_20170209_164522718.jpg

mikeseay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe 17's clear but not 16's. Didn't you do the upgrade while you had 17's @1992rs ?
According to the Baer website their 14 inch rotors require an 18 inch wheel and the 14.5 inch rotors require 20 inch wheels. This has been a good thread as I am also planning to change my brakes out and while I'm interested in the big brake kit it is hard to justify their price. This give me a lot of options, thanks everyone for your contributions, ideas and pictures.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the Baer website their 14 inch rotors require an 18 inch wheel and the 14.5 inch rotors require 20 inch wheels. This has been a good thread as I am also planning to change my brakes out and while I'm interested in the big brake kit it is hard to justify their price. This give me a lot of options, thanks everyone for your contributions, ideas and pictures.
Interesting; I just installed Wilwood's and they state their 16" rotors require 20" wheels.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my rotors, calipers, and pads to fit a 2007 Suburban, and everything bolted up perfectly to my 2001 Suburban. I ordered all my stuff from Rockauto except for the rotors. I ordered the rotors from "Brakemotive" on eBay. Brakemotive sells Powerstop rotors and I have bought several sets for several different vehicles from them over many years now. Their prices simply cannot be beat. Two HEAVY front rotors for just over $100 SHIPPED! Rockauto was about the same price, but they want $40 for shipping on the brake rotors. So with free shipping, Brakemotive's prices can't be beat. I was also able to get the new Black Zinc plated Powerstop rotors from them, Rockauto doesn't even sell the black ones. Here's a picture of my black NNBS rotor next to the old NBS Powerstop rotors that have been on my truck since 2009.View attachment 188230
Very nice. Ill take a look at brakemotive when i take the plunge on my nnbs upgrade thanks!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearance Depends more on offset and caliper size then the rotor size.
Well, there's the fact that the calipers have to go outboard of the rotors so the size of the rotors is pretty important too. The rotors aren't what will hit but if you have 16" rotors and the calipers have to go outside of those, that has to be considered. Shape of spokes also matter. If they curve in you're screwed. Best bet is to get the templates. I also found out that neither the brake or wheel mfr. will state whether they'll fit. It's up to you to make sure.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, there's the fact that the calipers have to go outboard of the rotors so the size of the rotors is pretty important too. The rotors aren't what will hit but if you have 16" rotors and the calipers have to go outside of those, that has to be considered. Shape of spokes also matter. If they curve in you're screwed. Best bet is to get the templates. I also found out that neither the brake or wheel mfr. will state whether they'll fit. It's up to you to make sure.

Obviously the rotors effect clearance as well. But the first thing that hits are the calipers. So theoretically you can have a larger rotor setup with more clearance then another one with a smaller rotor and larger calipers.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously the rotors effect clearance as well. But the first thing that hits are the calipers. So theoretically you can have a larger rotor setup with more clearance then another one with a smaller rotor and larger calipers.
I understand. But the calipers spacing from the center of the wheel depends on the diameter of the rotor. Besides, the larger the rotor, the larger the caliper. I have 14" rotors on the rear. If I was to put the huge front calipers on the rear, I'd still have way more clearance than the front. But of course the 14" rotors require way smaller calipers. If I take the smaller rear calipers and install them on the front rotors, there isn't as much difference, like maybe 1/4" between the 2 different calipers.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This matters only up to a certain size of wheel though. After about 22" wheels, the thickness of the calipers could possibly be a factor. The size of the rotors won't matter after 22" wheels. Here's some pics of the 22" reps I run this time of year and the 26" I run in the summer.

IMG_7269.JPG IMG_7271.JPG IMG_7272.JPG

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand. But the calipers spacing from the center of the wheel depends on the diameter of the rotor. Besides, the larger the rotor, the larger the caliper. I have 14" rotors on the rear. If I was to put the huge front calipers on the rear, I'd still have way more clearance than the front. But of course the 14" rotors require way smaller calipers. If I take the smaller rear calipers and install them on the front rotors, there isn't as much difference, like maybe 1/4" between the 2 different calipers.

Yeah that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr