07-08 Windshield wipers, what were they thinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to change my wipers and I found I have some odd clip on design that not every wiper supports..

I ended up going with Michelin because it had what I needed.

I did learn that the 09+ uses the J hook style, I was wondering if anyone has ever converted a 07/08 to the 09+ design, I would think the entire arm would require changing.

John

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a campaign on the 07's and early 08's...my dealer replaced the wiper arms with the newer J-hook style at no charge to me.

Seems the old style didn't tension against the glass properly which caused the blades to skip across the glass, no matter what speed the vehicle was going.

OP
OP
O

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By chance do you know the campaign number? Do you have a receipt that might show the number for it?

One thing that I have noticed, is the low profile wiper blades that are like a beam do not work worth a darn on arms designed for the wipers with the metal frame. What I found is the fact that the new beam style are lower profile and do not hold enough tension against the windshield. Consider that the old frame type have up to an extra 1/2 to 1 inch of height that is translated into less spring tension...

I have tried them and they always sucked and I swore to never go to the new style again.

John

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on Parthery's post. I changed the arms on my '07 Burb to the '09+ style J-hook arms because the original arms didn't put enough tension on the blades and they wouldn't wipe for *******. I believe I spent around $60 at the dealer for the new arms. With the replacement arms and Bosch Icon blades I'm totally satisfied.

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subject: Windshield Wiper Streak at Low Vehicle Speeds (Replace Windshield Wipers and Arms) #07-08-43-010 - (12/05/2007)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe*

2007-2008 GMC Denali, Denali XL, Yukon, Yukon XL

*Excludes Tahoe Police Package

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the windshield wipers streak the windshield and do not clean properly at low vehicle speeds.

Cause
This condition may be caused by low blade pressure to the windshield.

Correction

Replace the wiper blades with conventional styled blades. The wiper arms will also have to be replaced.

Open the hood.
Remove the windshield wiper arm finish cap. Use a small flat-bladed tool to remove the finish cap.
Remove the wiper arm nut and disconnect the washer hose.
Remove the wiper arm using the J 39637 - Wiper Arm Puller.
Install the wiper to the wiper arm and remove the plastic union from the new assembly.
Install the wiper arm assembly to the vehicle. Line up and hold the blade to the vertical black bar target mark located at the lower center portion of the windshield and tighten the nut.
Tighten
Tighten the nut to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Install the windshield washer hose.
Install the finish cap.
Close the hood.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Wiper Arm-Left

Wiper Arm-Right

Wiper Blade

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B1784
Arm, Wiper-Windshield (One Or Both) - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of the new (still in the bag) style wiper arms that I'll sell you. I don't drive mine in the rain so I never swapped them out. PM me if your interested.

ChrisK7UND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Nasty GM, Do you still have the set? What are the part numbers in them. I heard they changed the numbers from what is listed on this campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never noticed this thread. Thanks for bumping it up.

GM Parts Direct has them for just under 70 bucks shipped. As usual, their shipping charges suck, but they seem to have the exact part numbers in stock.

OP
OP
O

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The set that Nasty GM had were still the Clip-On type that are used on the Silverado and the Sierra...

I still have them and I have the clips... I am still looking for the 09-14 type with the J-hook... just easier to find new wipers for them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew