05nali's HOW TO Ipod/AUX hookup for 03+ XM equipped trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stumbled onto this thread while looking for pics of how to wire the Radio Shack jack which has 5 connections. It looks like the jacks used in this thread are all 3 connection.

How does the XM and the input jack not bleed over each other with only 3 connections? The 5 connection Radio Shack jack is actually a "switch" also that isolates one audio source from the other.

I'm interested in how the jack detailed in this thread works without the XM & input jack audio bleeding over each other?

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an image in my post about how to do it with the 5 connection phone jack, but it seems the image host went down (that's what I get for not saving it and reuploading, oh well). With the 5 connection, you solder the 2 connections per sides together. So left soldered to left, right to right (don't solder left to right). The 3 connection doesn't have this issue.

How all this "overwrites" XM radio... I have no clue. Even while installing, I was curious as to why this worked.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use the 5 pin jack, why would you solder 2 & 3 together and 4 & 5 together? That is counter intuitive. If you dont want to hear XM broadcast and the ipod playing at the same time, you need a way to "switch" which input is going to the stereo headunit. If you did in fact solder 2 to 3 and 4 to 5, you effectively turned your 5 pin jack into a 3 pin jack without knowing it.

The only way I can see the 3 pin jack working "correctly" with no bleed over, is if you cut the Left & Right audio out wires and do NOT hook up the end that are coming from the XM tuner.

Using scotch-lock or T-tap connectors to attach the jack to the audio out wires of the XM will result in both the XM audio output AND the ipod audio output being fed to the headunit.

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you effectively turned your 5 pin jack into a 3 pin jack without knowing it.

That's the point.

Using scotch-lock or T-tap connectors to attach the jack to the audio out wires of the XM will result in both the XM audio output AND the ipod audio output being fed to the headunit.

But then you receive both. I'm not sure if there is a blank channel on XM, because any non-music channels are programming or info channels. The point of this mod is to replace XM with AUX.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the point.

But then you receive both. I'm not sure if there is a blank channel on XM, because any non-music channels are programming or info channels. The point of this mod is to replace XM with AUX.

Yes, if you want to replace XM with AUX, that is the way to go. What I am doing and what is referenced in the Avalanche forum write up by using the 5 pin plug, you can have both. The 5 pin jack is a plug in jack AND a switch that can alternate between XM and the jack, so you can keep both options. :beer:

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5 pin I used was certainly not a switch. It was a phone jack.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have XM radio and the Aux too with the 3 pin jack like listed in the first post. if you still want to listen to xm simply unplug your phone or ipod and continue to listen to xm. If you want to listen to your own music switch over to channel 0 on xm which is your radio ID number and that channel has no sound at all coming threw it and will not give any bleed over and allow your music to come threw clearly.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5 pin I used was certainly not a switch. It was a phone jack.

If you used Radio Shack part # 274-246, it actually is a mechanical "switch" of sorts. When you plug the cord into the jack, it breaks the circuit for the XM output signal. When you pull the cord back out, it reverts back to the original circuit. That jack/switch has a clear cover on one side....if you plug a cord in and watch what is going on internally, you'll see what I mean by switch. Plug in...the signal follows one path, plug out it follows another path.

I think the first and original write up for using Radio Shack part # 274-246 is here. http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=93646.0

Unfortunately, most of the pics in the Avalanche forum thread are gone, broken, dead. I've been looking for the pics that were in that thread for about a week now....no luck yet. One of the pics showed what wires to hook up each of the 5 posts to so it 'switched' when you plugged the patch cord in and still allowed use of XM in addition to an AUX input.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

I still have XM radio and the Aux too with the 3 pin jack like listed in the first post. if you still want to listen to xm simply unplug your phone or ipod and continue to listen to xm. If you want to listen to your own music switch over to channel 0 on xm which is your radio ID number and that channel has no sound at all coming threw it and will not give any bleed over and allow your music to come threw clearly.

I'm surprised to hear you have no bleed over when an aux input is plugged in. Maybe it has something to do with using channel 0. Still though....I'd prefer to have the output from the XM unit isolated from the output from an Aux(ipod) that is plugged in to the same circuit. Glad to hear it worked!

bermudablueZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used the mentioned 5pin "switch" style aux connector from radio shack. I don't have any pics or the schematic right off hand but mine is xm/aux audio with no patch cord plugged in, then as soon as you plug in your cord it breaks the circuit and adds the new circuit being your phone, ipod, etc. I run the radio on xm preview channel 1 and hear my phone audio perfectly.You NEED to use a 5pin set-up if you have rear dvd as the dvd audio goes through the same circuits.

Ddbell21

Reaction score
I stumbled onto this thread while looking for pics of how to wire the Radio Shack jack which has 5 connections. It looks like the jacks used in this thread are all 3 connection.

How does the XM and the input jack not bleed over each other with only 3 connections? The 5 connection Radio Shack jack is actually a "switch" also that isolates one audio source from the other.

I'm interested in how the jack detailed in this thread works without the XM & input jack audio bleeding over each other?

If you just use a normal aux cord and then tie into the XM you can still use the Xm radio or the aux output. You just have to put the Xm dial to channel one while playing a iPod. I did this to my truck and made a thread in the audio section with pictures. Works get and took about 10 minuets to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne