04 Z71 back glass and wiper weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I had two questions but fixed one:)

1. My rear window will not open on my 2004 Tahoe. When I push the rear button nothing happens, when I unlock all the doors, nothing. It is shut tight! Anyone know what this might be and how I might go about repairing it?

I fixed the first question by messing with the locks a few times and the window popped open. I used liquid wrench white lithium grease on it so it will continue to work

2. Rear wiper does not work. Fluid spits out, and when I turn it to the first position I can hear a noise in the back but it does not move, like a bump. I went back there and moved the wiper around manually a bit and its stiff at all its joints, lubed them, nothing. It sounds like it is getting power just not moving. Bad motor? What do you guys think? From my understanding to replace this motor?

You guys are the experts, you drive these things daily, I am new to all this. It would be great to get the rear window open so I could bring lumber home etc.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I looked online as much as I could and I found some saying that shorting was happening at the harness. I found this link:

I just went out and checked my truck This is not my problem.
All the wires looked brand new and I felt bad about taking the rubber boot off lol - hope I got it sealed back up well enough. I unplugged the harness back there and plugged it back here. I just hear a slight clunk and no wiper action, same as before. I am starting to think this is the wiper motor. Anyone know of any cheap sources for these things? I hate to dump 175 bucks for it, there must be some cheaper options. hmm.. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have info about the functionality of the wiper and/or motor, however this is a perfect opportunity to take that tree branch off the back and not worry yourself over its use anymore.

Unless you use it often. I used plugs on mine and some guys did a proper shave, fill and paint and it looks badass either way.

Just my .02. @S1nemesis1s

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have info about the functionality of the wiper and/or motor, however this is a perfect opportunity to take that tree branch off the back and not worry yourself over its use anymore.

Unless you use it often. I used plugs on mine and some guys did a proper shave, fill and paint and it looks badass either way.

Just my .02. @S1nemesis1s

I would totally do this, or at least just not worry about it, but my wife really wants it to work. So I am still trying to figure it out. Your truck looks awesome by the way!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check EBay for a wiper motor. I sold mine after shaving the wiper. It was like new, because it never got used.

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a used one from a salvage yard. I do not have high hopes, 35 bucks. These things are pretty darn expensive! I am hoping the used one lasts a while - or even works ha.

MikeW

Reaction score
S1nemesis1s - Any update? I am having the same problem. Got new motor from junkyard (pick and pull) - installed it - got 2 sweeps and now nothing. Fuse good - don't know whats going on...

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry @MikeW I started a new thread and forgot this one:( Mine turned out to be the motor, I installed the junkyard part and it worked well. Try grounding the body of the motor to a good solid body ground and see if it works. Sometimes the wires get messed up and the ground is not good. Also, make sure the blade is not binding either. It sounds like you are getting power which is good - I suspect a ground. Try grounding it better to the body and I bet it work.