04 Denali rattle can sound around 800-1200 rpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, never tried that. I was afraid I could hurt the cat doing that. I had someone rev engine while I listened underneath

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was dark out when I recorded this. Noise was near start and near end. Was one of the cats disintegrating

OP
OP
DenaliJJ

DenaliJJ

Reaction score
I'm going to change the oil today and look for any metal or chunks of gunk in the filter I notice it has a cheap filter and about half a quart low so in goes mobile 1 5w-30 syn and a wix

OP
OP
DenaliJJ

DenaliJJ

Reaction score
It was dark out when I recorded this. Noise was near start and near end. Was one of the cats disintegrating
I tried listening under the vehicle today and my damn exhaust is to loud to really hear anything when it revs

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, check and make sure all your exhaust manifold bolts are in place. I had one rust off, needed to seal exhaust manifold with a aftermarket clamp.

OP
OP
DenaliJJ

DenaliJJ

Reaction score
Well I changed the oil and it now sits around 45 at idle and a tad under after it's warm. Makese real nervous with the change in pressure from before. Also there was a tad bit of shavings on the drain plug. The motor was replaced by GM dealer in 2012 and has around 65k on the remaned engine. It was replaced due to a cam bearing being spun. Really hope this isn't the issue again. The noise isn't heard inside the car while driving and really only there at start up and rears its head again around that 1k mark. All the exhaust manifold bolts seem to be in place and it honestly seems to be coming from near the oil pan area underneath

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO thats the engine. I'm hoping its piston slap, not something else. Let the M1 marinate, see what happens M1 tends to be a bit noisy, but its a great cleaner oil.

OP
OP
DenaliJJ

DenaliJJ

Reaction score
IMO thats the engine. I'm hoping its piston slap, not something else.
My thoughts too. Funny thing is I can't hear it when someone revs it up past 1200 though. You would think somethin motor related would be louder through Rpms right? What's the easiest way to check the flexplate?

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Piston slap occurs when the oil just starts to flow and the engine is cold. As the engine warms up and oil pressure increases, the piston tightens up in the cylinder. I say wait, see what M1 does. May take an oil change or 2 to get results. These engines go 300k if minimally maintained, so when I hear changing engines, then the next engine has issues it makes me wonder about prior owner maintenance. Also you may want to consider an oil test from blackstone. Its only $28. Like a blood test, tells you whats going on in the engine.