03-06 steering wheel on 02 Yukon?!?!?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Ultim8SVT, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Ultim8SVT

Ultim8SVT Member

Name:
    Alex
    The question is pretty simple.

Can I swap steering wheels from an 03-06 Yukon/Escalade/Tahoe with wood trim into my 2002 Yukon SLT? I can get my hands on one relatively fast but I want to make sure I don't throw away my money. I really don't like my plain, black, outdated steering wheel.

NOTE: I've done the search, there are over 10 threads on this forum started but none are finished. So there's no info on a finished swapped steering wheel.

What I have
    00wheel_zps2c9ae7e2.jpg

What I want
    06wheel_zpsf9f88f87.jpg

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Z-56 Hoe

Z-56 Hoe What do I do????

Name:
    Michael
    It should bolt right up just buttons won't work.

3. fiatdale

fiatdale Houstons Best

Name:
    FiatDale
    It will bolt up, you just need the airbag. I think the clock springs are the same as well. Buttons I don't think will work because 03+ is class 2 and 99-02 doesn't have class 2

4. Ultim8SVT

Ultim8SVT Member

Name:
    Alex
    Yeah I don't care much about the buttons. I'm going with an aftermarket headunit eventually anyway. Ok... Thanks guys.

5. Pachanga02

Pachanga02 Full Access Member

Name:
    X
    If I remember correctly i think the SRS light will pop up because of the difference in airbag connections. 02 has I think 1 and 03+ have 2. I looked into it for mine aswell and thats what someone had told me, if you go ahead and do it let me know please because I want to update mine aswell. Like yourself I don't care about the buttons not working since i don't use them now anyway

6. kses123

kses123 kses123

Name:
    Keith
    I am not sure, but I think that the shaft on the 03+ models are different. You might have to get the whole column to make that work.

Ryan Buck likes this.
  7. Ultim8SVT

Ultim8SVT Member

Name:
    Alex

I just got the wheel in the mail today. I will let everyone know how it goes. I'm planning on trying the swap tomorrow morning.

I hope this isn't the case. It would suck horribly. Hell, I'd find a way to adapt it, lol. :angry94:

8. lowAZhoe

lowAZhoe Resident GM Tech

Name:
    Roger
    it wont work. the splines on the column are different. you need the whole column from an 03+ if you want that wheel. but the airbags in 03+ are 2 stage as 02 and older are single stage. so your airbag will no longer work.

9. Ultim8SVT

Ultim8SVT Member

Name:
    Alex
    WOW! You just sh!t on my plate dude! :okay2:

Are you 100% sure? I wasn't able to do it today because my wife took the SUV with her almost all day. I was planning on giving it a try in the morning. DAMN!

10. kses123

kses123 kses123

Name:
    Keith
    However...you can find a single stage airbag that will work. The 2500/3500 Silverado's/Sierra's 03-07 have single stage airbags that would work. Also, same goes for the Express/Savana vans. Should only have one yellow connector on the back. The newer vans also had the emblems in color on the steering wheel. Like this swap I did:
    671f8bca.jpg [/URL]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013