02_Tahoes budget build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad it's just you pricing your mods and not me. I don't wanna know how much I've spent!:badidea:
I think you spent more on the whipple than I have on my whole truck. But I'd love to have a setup like yours. I found out that I can take a used LSA blower off of a newer z06 or zl1 and get adapters from the square ports to cathedral ports and it'll be about $800 in parts. I'm really considering this as I have the money to do it, just want to learn more about it first

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you spent more on the whipple than I have on my whole truck. But I'd love to have a setup like yours. I found out that I can take a used LSA blower off of a newer z06 or zl1 and get adapters from the square ports to cathedral ports and it'll be about $800 in parts. I'm really considering this as I have the money to do it, just want to learn more about it first
Yeah I considered that route but there was too much conflicting info or unanswered questions. And no way was is it even close to $800. $800 will get you the bare blower without the intercooler. You'll spend $600 on relocation adapters for the engine components that have to be moved like the alternator and power steering. Theres more to those than you think at first. There's alot of parts to a blower install and they all add up fast. It is way cheaper though, maybe $2000- $3000 including tune, injectors, fuel pump, X wire adapter, intercooler, brackets, belts, hoses, etc. And then don't forget all the other maintenance stuff you want to do while the intake is off like knock sensors, valley cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit... Lol.

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I considered that route but there was too much conflicting info or unanswered questions. And no way was is it even close to $800. $800 will get you the bare blower without the intercooler. You'll spend $600 on relocation adapters for the engine components that have to be moved like the alternator and power steering. Theres more to those than you think at first. There's alot of parts to a blower install and they all add up fast. It is way cheaper though, maybe $2000- $3000 including tune, injectors, fuel pump, X wire adapter, intercooler, brackets, belts, hoses, etc. And then don't forget all the other maintenance stuff you want to do while the intake is off like knock sensors, valley cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit... Lol.
Yeah I kinda just saw all that lol, someone had a thread on ls1tech. NextGen performance sells a kit and then you add parts that you need for your specific engine and my total was around $2500. I thought it was just the blower, adapters, injectors, and new belt and I was finished. But still $2500-3000 is much better

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then wanted to try painting my mirrors to see what it would be like, and I did the whole mirror not just the cap and I'm glad to say it looks great
View attachment 81729
View attachment 81730
This was another budget friendly mod.
Next I decided I needed to learn how to fix my paint, so to YouTube and the forums I went. Got meguiars ultimate compound, and this stuff works great. Here's a before and after of my hood
View attachment 81731
View attachment 81732
Next I got an in person tune from @BlackBearPerf, this is number one on my list of best bang for your buck mods, it will feel like you have a totally different truck. I got the 87-89 tune and it's amazing how much a tune changes the truck.
After all said and done I've spent less than 6k in mods and if you take out the brake lines is less than 5k but if everything is included it's pushing 7k. For all I've done to this truck I think spending less than 7k is great. Here's my truck as it sits
View attachment 81733
Next 2 things on my list are, a front end rebuild with new UCAs, tie rods, sway arm bushings, and new lower ball joint because I have a squeaky and stiff front end. Also plan on getting 4.56 gears to compensate for the bigger tires.

We are happy you are enjoying the tune!

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my front 2 windows tinted this past weekend. Just 20% to match the back. Only cost $70
IMG_1445.JPG
Still wanting to do the front end rebuild but I'm thinking of leaving out the lower control arms. The ball joint angle is not bad at all and the whole thing looks to be in good shape. The one thing I absolutely need to do is the upper control arm because the ball joint looks to be in much much worse condition and the bushings and cam bolts are shot. What do you guys think, yes or no to lower control arms. If I leave them out I'll have more money left over that will go to bilstein 5100s. Let me know what you would do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon