02_Tahoes budget build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured I should make one of these things.

Got this truck for $1500 in march of 2016. It's a 2002 Tahoe, 5.3 flex fuel, LS. When I got it, it had some upgraded wheels and tires but it looked funny because they were stuffed up in there. They were 16x8s with 285/75r16s.
IMG_0361.JPG
The very first thing I did to it was replace the door speakers and factory subwoofer because they were blown. I don't have any pics of that because at that point I wasn't a member of this site. I actually found this site when I was looking up how to replace the sub, this all cost me $120. Next thing I did was the lift wheels and tires and after all said and done it was $2k. Wheels $700 for all 4, tires were $800 for all 4, lift kit was $140 off eBay and installation price with alignment was $350. I got the wheels and tires off of customoffset.com. So now I'm $3,620 into this truck not including things I needed to get it on the road.
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
After this I decided to take off those ugly fender flares. Definitely don't use your fingers to take off the adhesive, you'll mess up your thumbs and it will take you all day to get it done. Buy this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00V..._SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=eraser+wheel&psc=1
It's definitely worth it
IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now there was a long 4 month period where I wasn't doing anything. But when I finally did something again, I bought 2 12" MTX terminator subwoofers off Amazon for $220 and installed them myself. The amp and wiring kit came with it as a package. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B...bwoofer+12&dpPl=1&dpID=51JPj2PGwYL&ref=plSrch. Of course the price drops after I buy it, lol.
IMG_0777.JPG
With a total of $3,840.
Actually I did forget to include that I had to replace my brake lines which cost $900 and is why I had no money for mods, so now in for $4,740.
So I had the sound system down and it looked good, only thing missing was a nice sounding exhaust, so to Amazon I went.
Got a flowmaster super 10 for $75 off Amazon but I had a gift card for 100 so it was free. Took it to a local shop had them weld it in place of the old one and they quoted me $165, great price. Come to find out I had a single in dual out stock muffler so they ended up having to use more pipe and make bends to new pipe so had a new quote of $245.
Total $4,985
Then went on to color matching, picked up some door handles which happened to already be the same blue as mine out of a local junk yard.
IMG_1074.JPG
Then wanted a blue bumper cap so I decided to do it myself, which is about a $30 dollar project but I won't include that on the price.
Link to color matching write up I made http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/color-matching-updated.92253/
IMG_1098.JPG
Then finished up taking off factory molding
IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then wanted to try painting my mirrors to see what it would be like, and I did the whole mirror not just the cap and I'm glad to say it looks great
IMG_1211.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG
This was another budget friendly mod.
Next I decided I needed to learn how to fix my paint, so to YouTube and the forums I went. Got meguiars ultimate compound, and this stuff works great. Here's a before and after of my hood
IMG_1303.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG
Next I got an in person tune from @BlackBearPerf, this is number one on my list of best bang for your buck mods, it will feel like you have a totally different truck. I got the 87-89 tune and it's amazing how much a tune changes the truck.
After all said and done I've spent less than 6k in mods and if you take out the brake lines is less than 5k but if everything is included it's pushing 7k. For all I've done to this truck I think spending less than 7k is great. Here's my truck as it sits
IMG_1326.JPG
Next 2 things on my list are, a front end rebuild with new UCAs, tie rods, sway arm bushings, and new lower ball joint because I have a squeaky and stiff front end. Also plan on getting 4.56 gears to compensate for the bigger tires.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
Great work! Keep it up! Some nice new clear headlights would really set it off imo.

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skipped price of lift and amp tho
The amp came with the subs as a bundle, a wiring kit also came with it so all of it together was $220. I'll mention that, and I'll break down the cost of the lift, wheels and tires

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
The amp came with the subs as a bundle, a wiring kit also came with it so all of it together was $220. I'll mention that, and I'll break down the cost of the lift, wheels and tires
Oh dang , helluva deal. Those terminators knock good too.
Edit: i didn't click the link lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14