02 Yukon z71...HELP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Malibu907

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here it goes...just did a 3000mi trip with my 02 Yukon and as soon as i get home it starts making an awful noise! Sounds like a brake dragging and a funny knock with each wheel spin. Like metal on metal. I've been around cars, mechanics..etc my entire life and I have never heard this noise. No drive train noise on start up or shifting through gears with brakes on. Brakes were replaced so that's not it. It is coming from the tranny area and gets louder as the wheels are moving...like clunk grind scrape each revolution of the front tires. Quiet as a mouse when sitting in gear or in park. No slipping, no warning, still shifts fine even with the wild noise.

I took it to the tranny shop today and he told me its an internal tranny issue. Thats not sitting well with me. I for the life of me cannot figure it out no leaks...nothing. I cannot find the sound on any utube videos either...its the craziest thing. The only thing I can think of is maybe the shift linkage? It doesn't show the correct gear..but starts stops fine. Any ideas? I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.

An internal tranny failure can and will happen just like that but even with the loud awful noise it has no issues shifting. Doesnt shift hard or clunk when changing gears. Each tire revolution is a clunk, grind, scrape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442