02 Yukon making awful noise!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Malibu907

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long story short...my yukon started making a metal thumping sound. Went to tranny shop and he insists its the planetary gears just by hearing it. Not test driving it...nothing. It doesn't slip, miss, no issues until this weird sound occurred and even with the noise it shifts fine, doesnt change on a turn either. It does it consistently when tires are rolling. Quiet when stopped even in gear I put it in neutral turned engine off and rolled it, the noise still occurs. Coming from tranny area.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does sounds awful lol. It almost sounds like it could be a bad ujoint on the driveshaft. 2wd or 4wd? I'd get it up in the air and spin each wheel. Shouldn't be hard to find the problem since something is loose and banging around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Malibu907

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That does sounds awful lol. It almost sounds like it could be a bad ujoint on the driveshaft. 2wd or 4wd? I'd get it up in the air and spin each wheel. Shouldn't be hard to find the problem since something is loose and banging around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

It is 4x4...with the z71 package and auto 4x4 sensing. I have never used the 4wd. I'm hoping and praying its not the tranny. Actually it just doesn't sit right with me that its the tranny. I feel like its something else. In inspecting the u joints and driveline in the morning.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa, that’s the SUV equivalent of baseball card in the spokes.

When you say put in neutral, do you mean put transfer case in neutral or just tranny gear shift? Putting the transfer case into neutral will disengage it from the driveline. In that mode, you can lift up the rear making sure you chok the front so doesn’t roll, and turn the rear by hand and see if it still makes the noise. If it does, it could be your rear axle or main driveshaft. I do not know if the transmission is fully disconnected in this mode but I suspect it is not. Someone else might chime in who knows more but at least that is one method of isolating the components a little bit further . good luck

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum from Georgia Dawg country.

I believe it's time for a SECOND opinion from a reputable transmission shop . When the vehicle is rolled with the engine off, the rear transmission shaft is actually turning. Anyone who is unwilling to road test your vehicle, doesn't need your hard earned $$$. JMHO and good luck.
David g
...........:2cents:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the transfer case fluid? It could be the chain in the TCASE. Also, check your the parking brake...those shoes fall apart sometimes and make all sorts of racket. Noises in these rigs tend to travel, and unless you have someone running next to your truck listening while it's rolling, can be hard to locate exact source. Just some other ideas to look at. Good luck.

gtoguru

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked the transfer case fluid? It could be the chain in the TCASE. Also, check your the parking brake...those shoes fall apart sometimes and make all sorts of racket. Noises in these rigs tend to travel, and unless you have someone running next to your truck listening while it's rolling, can be hard to locate exact source. Just some other ideas to look at. Good luck.

gtoguru

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would check your rear brakes. The backing plates can get bent or rusted and make that noise rubbing on the rotors

6speedblazer

Reaction score
I also vote to check tcase fluid.

A stretched chain usually sounds a bit more rattly. But it does not hurt to check the fluid and see whats going on inside.

You can also check the trans dipstick. Wipe it on a rag and see if there is a any metal on the stick. Most will stick to the magnet in the pan but if its bad enough it can be seen on the dipstick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2