'02 Tahoe- added Z71 rear springs- need keys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my '02 Tahoe (130k miles) had original rear springs that were sagging and lost most of their strength. I replaced them with the Moog Z-71 springs. I have not had a chance to update the shocks yet.
-updating the rear springs gave me just under a 2" lift in the back.
to get close to leveling the ride- should I buy replace keys or can I probably get close enough with just cranking the factory keys?

I have read a bunch of posts- but the majority all add spacers to the rear and then add keys to level to that.

also- with the brand new rear springs- it sounds like I'm falling off a cliff when the rear tires go over a speedbump- can this be the old shocks- or just the new springs need to soften up a bit (only been a few days since I put them on).

AD1C235F-15CD-468C-9413-E243860C80E6.jpg

Last edited:

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my '02 Tahoe (130k miles) had original rear springs that were sagging and lost most of their strength. I replaced them with the Moog Z-71 springs. I have not had a chance to update the shocks yet.
-updating the rear springs gave me just under a 2" lift in the back.
to get close to leveling the ride- should I buy replace keys or can I probably get close enough with just cranking the factory keys?

I have read a bunch of posts- but the majority all add spacers to the rear and then add keys to level to that.

also- with the brand new rear springs- it sounds like I'm falling off a cliff when the rear tires go over a speedbump- can this be the old shocks- or just the new springs need to soften up a bit (only been a few days since I put them on).

AD1C235F-15CD-468C-9413-E243860C80E6.jpg
I don't think you'll be able to level it out completely with the stock keys so you might want new ones. And I assume you're hearing a loud bang from the rear. That's your shocks extending all the way. I have that same noise because I have 2 inch spacers. You can either get longer shocks or shock extenders

OP
OP
T

TahoeFL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
02- Thank you! yes, I plan to order new shocks for the rear. 5100's seems to be what everyone has the best results with right?

also planning to order new keys as well as check my bumpstops and new front shocks.

bassgas

Reaction score
Sounds like you are one the same path that I am on as well as a bunch on here. We're did you get your z71 springs from and what kind of price? I was going to a pick and pull to get mine but not sure if this is the best way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
OP
OP
T

TahoeFL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered the Moog's off Amazon, I think it was $53 or $57. Install went easier than expected.

I would recommend new springs- probably close to the same price you'd pay at a pick and pull, and you never know what someone else has done with their vehicle.
-eliminate the variables, and start fresh with new springs.

Patriot17763

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 2" spacers Z71 springs and supreme suspension keys and mine is a little taller in front but my keys are only turned about half way. You could easily level it out with my setup. Oh and get the 5100s it'll be the best investment ride wise that you can do

835376494dd3d36fd729e30347066775.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkthkmorris

Reaction score
Going to need to look into shocks and sprimgs soon. Have keys already done, but ride is a little on the sucky side. Running 285/75r16s. e445e3ebd815e26d912dd7d2c429095c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2