01 Yukon Denali Getting Hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The water pump might be worn out. If it has a lot of miles on it, it's probably due just as preventive maintenance anyway. It's also relatively inexpensive and real easy to replace.

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh....did you pressure test this yet? Always a first step.

Second, Do you have a laser heat gun? $10 bucks at Harbor Freight.

This is the easiest and fastest way to rule out Water pump and Radiator. We know your thermostat works, so....follow the heat. Usually Water pump will leak or whine. Is it doing this?

What is the temp of the radiator? If the fluid is not being circulated the through the radiator, the radiator is not going to get that hot.

Turn the car off, grab the pulley with gloves on, can you wiggle it? Usually when you turn the heat on with a bad water pump, you don't get hot air, you get cool air. Then it would be the radiator.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh....did you pressure test this yet? Always a first step.

Second, Do you have a laser heat gun? $10 bucks at Harbor Freight.

This is the easiest and fastest way to rule out Water pump and Radiator. We know your thermostat works, so....follow the heat. Usually Water pump will leak or whine. Is it doing this?

What is the temp of the radiator? If the fluid is not being circulated the through the radiator, the radiator is not going to get that hot.

Turn the car off, grab the pulley with gloves on, can you wiggle it? Usually when you turn the heat on with a bad water pump, you don't get hot air, you get cool air. Then it would be the radiator.
This example will pass your leak test and will not whine. If the impellers wear it simply will not move fluid or move enough. That is why I said Rev the engine and see if the Temps drops. I say this because it happened to my first pump. Another way they fail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This example will pass your leak test and will not whine. If the impellers wear it simply will not move fluid or move enough. That is why I said Rev the engine and see if the Temps drops. I say this because it happened to my first pump. Another way they fail.

There was another member on here awhile back who had this same problem with his water pump. It was working but not too good, and wasn't leaking or wobbling. Hey maybe that was you?

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was another member on here awhile back who had this same problem with his water pump. It was working but not too good, and wasn't leaking or wobbling. Hey maybe that was you?
Haha, nope. Mine did this about 10 years ago. I've had the truck forever lol.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Weird.

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have known Eric personally for a long time. After the economy crashed in 2008, we had friends who could not afford to fix their Honda, Head Gasket. He taught me the trick of stuffing the inter tube into the cylinder when you loosen the fly wheel. That is why I asked if you had a laser temp gauge first:) Everyone was throwing pieces at you. You need a plan for the whole thing. Plus I just had to do this on My Kubota Diesel Tractor. Two years ago on my Yuki.

Run with the Big Dogs...
Or Stay on the Porch..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts