“California Black Out” for Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in Orange Country visiting family and as everyone knows, CA is such a great place for cars in general and vehicle mods In particularly. Visiting from the east coast, I can say folks in CA are definitely ahead of the curve (compared to where I live) for pretty cool mods, paint, wheels, etc.

So I started noticing a lot of people had blacked out Escalades. And they were all very similar. All chrome was blacked out, everything, including the grille and Cadillac emblem too. In fact on the Cadillac emblem the only colors that remain are: yellow, red, and you can nearly see blue. Wheels were black, of course too.

I happened to drive by a Cadillac new car lot and actually saw several of these blacked out Escalades right on the lot, new. So I stopped and spoke with the dealer. He said these blacked out Escalades are all done locally and it’s called the “California Black Out Package for Escalade”. These vehicles come in new and then the dealer sends them to a local paint/body shop, where all the chrome is painted. He said painted, not wrapped or plastic dipped, but who knows if only some of it is painted vs other techniques. However the grill definitely looked painted.

I loved how the Cadillac emblem looks on these. The whole vehicle looks tough, and menacing. I think that partially blacked out emblem does it, the yellow and red really stand out, almost like a flag...

My question is, does anyone here have one of these California Black Out Escalades, or are you familiar with this package? Also, do you think it would be easy to find a local shop (in the Washington DC area, or really anywhere outside of CA) to do a great job like this? Would you recommend painting, plastic dip, or wrap, assuming I find a shop that doesn’t normally do “CA Black Out” and therefore needs a recommendation as to how to proceed? And finally, what are some opinions on whether this would look good with the Dark Granite Metalic/Iridium color? Thanks

7fff516d2ea36d71d15ea9c07af0b658.jpg2fbd1fb8e061b2351a227d7b9d71586c.jpg909711d0604f803d9cf79d7bf88a9c0b.jpg7768d126e548c1a76775f9bcbe519a4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in Orange Country visiting family and as everyone knows, CA is such a great place for cars in general and vehicle mods In particularly. Visiting from the east coast, I can say folks in CA are definitely ahead of the curve (compared to where I live) for pretty cool mods, paint, wheels, etc.

So I started noticing a lot of people had blacked out Escalades. And they were all very similar. All chrome was blacked out, everything, including the grille and Cadillac emblem too. In fact on the Cadillac emblem the only colors that remain are: yellow, red, and you can nearly see blue. Wheels were black, of course too.

I happened to drive by a Cadillac new car lot and actually saw several of these blacked out Escalades right on the lot, new. So I stopped and spoke with the dealer. He said these blacked out Escalades are all done locally and it’s called the “California Black Out Package for Escalade”. These vehicles come in new and then the dealer sends them to a local paint/body shop, where all the chrome is painted. He said painted, not wrapped or plastic dipped, but who knows if only some of it is painted vs other techniques. However the grill definitely looked painted.

I loved how the Cadillac emblem looks on these. The whole vehicle looks tough, and menacing. I think that partially blacked out emblem does it, the yellow and red really stand out, almost like a flag...

My question is, does anyone here have one of these California Black Out Escalades, or are you familiar with this package? Also, do you think it would be easy to find a local shop (in the Washington DC area, or really anywhere outside of CA) to do a great job like this? Would you recommend painting, plastic dip, or wrap, assuming I find a shop that doesn’t normally do “CA Black Out” and therefore needs a recommendation as to how to proceed? And finally, what are some opinions on whether this would look good with the Dark Granite Metalic/Iridium color? Thanks

7fff516d2ea36d71d15ea9c07af0b658.jpg2fbd1fb8e061b2351a227d7b9d71586c.jpg909711d0604f803d9cf79d7bf88a9c0b.jpg7768d126e548c1a76775f9bcbe519a4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the greater DC/Baltimore area check out No Limit Inc. on Belair Road, Baltimore, MD. I had them quote out a full chrome delete on my Tahoe at $1700. That was a combination of paint and wrap. I ended up not getting it done because I didn't know if I was going to keep the Tahoe but based on my research No Limit is probably the best in area.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few blacked out Escalades at the airport and around the city. I'm pretty sure either the dealer offered this to them as an option (kinda like how the escalade premium sports where blacked out in 2013-14). Or they did it themselves. Personally I didn't like it though, the HUGE grill of the Escalade looked "muted" and "tame" for an Escalade. Didn't make it look mean like the previous premium sport.

Also the wheels looked like crap b/c every curb mark (and they were a lot on all of the ones I've seen) stand out like a sore thumb, since the whole wheel is black and you see the contrast of the metal against it. I'll stick with my two standard Escalades. I just had a new front bumper put on my 2017, so no more front plate bracket (my state doesn't require it).

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="noob, post: 1238668, member: 9541

Also the wheels looked like crap b/c every curb mark (and they were a lot on all of the ones I've seen) stand out like a sore thumb, since the whole wheel is black and you see the contrast of the metal against it. I'll stick with my two standard Escalades. I just had a new front bumper put on my 2017, so no more front plate bracket (my state doesn't require it).[/QUOTE]
If youre going to curb your wheels they'll look bad no matter the color but yes more so on black ones. They're also pretty easy to touch up with matching paint though. So that shouldn't be a reason not to get the wheels you think look good. If I curbed one of my billet wheels I'd be pissed at $1500 apiece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B