Dome light question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question I have are about the little reading lights or map lights, not sure what they are called, they are round and are with the rear heat controls on the ceiling in the front of the truck. When I open the door, every other light in the truck turns on except these 2 lights, is there a way to get them to turn on with everything else or are they just the exception?

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever done a mod to make them come on with the doors opening?

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
Mine have always came on with everything else, I replaced all my lights to LED and its like an operating room in my car now cause its so bright!

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I see yours is an 04 and mine is an 02, I wonder if they changed it up after 02? Any '01-02 guys out there that can answer my question?

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody??? '01 or '02 owners? Just wondering if I am missing something like I did with pushing the dome light switch 4 times to turn off the headlights? Anybody??
:)

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the map lights?
Mine is like anthony's

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
Same as yours ive got an 01 but its never really bothered me. I guess pull the assembly out and bust out the soldering iron and see what you can do. If you figure it out lemme know that might be something i wanna do.

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same as yours ive got an 01 but its never really bothered me. I guess pull the assembly out and bust out the soldering iron and see what you can do. If you figure it out lemme know that might be something i wanna do.

Thank for your info, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one, it doesn't really bother me but it also doesn't make sense that they didn't make them turn on with everything else!! I might mess around with it to make them turn on, it really shouldn't be hard!!

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally tackled the project last week and now I have map lights that come on with the rest of the interior lights!! All I did was tap into the wire in the overhead TV screen I have for the back seats that turns those lights on with the interior lights and ran a wire in the headliner, around the sunroof and down through the front overhead console. To do this properly, you will need 2 diodes, one for each map light where this wire connects to, otherwise whenever you push the button for the map light to operate it manually, it will turn on all the interior lights (backfeed). I included a few pics of the install, I have more so if you need more info, hit me up!! If your lights don't turn with the rest of the interior lights like the newer trucks do, this is an easy and very useful mod to do!
For those wanting to do this mod, the diodes I used were Radio Shacks's part # 276-1653 which is a 25 pack of assorted diodes, any of those will work for this mod that's in the pack!

Attachments

• DSC07068.jpg
    DSC07068.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC07073.jpg
    DSC07073.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member