OEM 6 disc changer install questions in a 2005 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skippy737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi people.

I have a 2005 yukon slt with the factory nav unit--- i would like to buy the 6 disc OEM changer and have it installed but have a few questions-- would someone please help me with some questions:

1. is there any theft protection or code required for this to happen-- shoudl it be just a simple install, Plug , and Play? from vehicle to vehicle

2. does the factory nav unit basically have a harness that fits into the oem disc changer that isnt being utilized right now? So when i open it up, i just plug the nav units harness into the oem changer and voila it works?

3. to make the changer work am i using one of the XM inputs ( isee there are two) but dont know why-- why would you need to for expansion for an input jack or something?

any help, input, or comments would be great-- im a newbee and cant afford alot but like the oem look.

also i have the 3.0 nav disc does anyone have a newer version or copy for cheap

also im trying to get my hands on a nav manual ( the dealership where i purchased it used didnt have one and i cant find a link to download it for free-- the manual cost 159 bucks new and about 100 on ebay- thats ridiculous.

thanks,

SKIPPY737

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sub'd for any answers for skippy.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. is there any theft protection or code required for this to happen-- shoudl it be just a simple install, Plug , and Play? from vehicle to vehicle

There is no theft protection on the 6 disc slave player.

2. does the factory nav unit basically have a harness that fits into the oem disc changer that isnt being utilized right now? So when i open it up, i just plug the nav units harness into the oem changer and voila it works?

There is a second, smaller slot on the back of the nav units. If you do NOT have both XM and Onstar, you can simply plug in the wiring harness from the new slave cd player. If you have either XM or Onstar (or both), you will have to cut off the end of the new harness, and splice on to the existing wires at the back of the radio.

When a truck comes factory with XM/Onstar/6 disc slave unit, they all splice together at a harness near the radio, and then connect to the radio.

When you install the factory XM add on kit, they give you a "T" harness so you don't have do any splicing. But if you want it to look cleaner, like I did, I modified the "T" harness and soldered it in to look factory. For this 6 disc changer, you will have to do the same.

The wires you will have to attach:

6 disc changer:--------------- Nav Radio:---------------Function:

Dk Green/White (Green)------Dk Green/White (H)--------Right audio
Brown/White (Pink)-----------Brown White (J)-----------Left audio
Black/White-----------------Black White (K)------------Common audio

Black/White (Black) - connects to A12 Black/White on MAIN harness on NAV - ground
Tan (Blue) - connects to A1 Orange on MAIN harness on NAV - databus wire
Orange (Red) - connects to B1 Orange on MAIN harness NAV - 12V

I have seen the harness come with alternate wire colors, so I highlighted those colors.

There is an illumination wire, but you do not have to hook it up. The 6 disc will illuminate thru the databus 2 signal.

You don't have to use the 12V and ground at the main harness of the NAV radio, but since you are already nearby at the smaller harness, it makes it easier. Also, I originally used a bolt for my ground and I got ALOT of alternator whine. I moved the ground over to the main NAV harness, beefed up the entire ground (4ga) all the way to the battery, and my entire alternator whine went away.

3. to make the changer work am i using one of the XM inputs ( isee there are two) but dont know why-- why would you need to for expansion for an input jack or something?

A new CDX input will be created, so you will get AM/FM1/FM2/XM1/XM2/CDX

also i have the 3.0 nav disc does anyone have a newer version or copy for cheap, also im trying to get my hands on a nav manual

I have a nav manual in PDF form. PM me your email address and I will sent it to you.

In Summary:

If you don't have XM and Onstar, you have to attach 3 wires.

If you have XM or Onstar or both, you have to attach 6 wires.

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

I forgot to add:

The CD changer harness is part #15312903.

Also, when you buy a 6 disc changer, MAKE SURE it has the metal ears, like this one:

Ebay Link

If it has plastic ears, it is for an 00-02 truck, and it WILL NOT work on the 03-06 databus 2 systems. Some sellers do not realize this and will tell you that 00-06 is all the same, which is not true.

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score

There is a second, smaller slot on the back of the nav units. If you do NOT have both XM and Onstar, you can simply plug in the wiring harness from the new slave cd player. If you have either XM or Onstar (or both), you will have to cut off the end of the new harness, and splice on to the existing wires at the back of the radio.

When a truck comes factory with XM/Onstar/6 disc slave unit, they all splice together at a harness near the radio, and then connect to the radio.

When you install the factory XM add on kit, they give you a "T" harness so you don't have do any splicing. But if you want it to look cleaner, like I did, I modified the "T" harness and soldered it in to look factory. For this 6 disc changer, you will have to do the same.

The wires you will have to attach:

6 disc changer:--------------- Nav Radio:---------------Function:

Dk Green/White (Green)------Dk Green/White (H)--------Right audio
Brown/White (Pink)-----------Brown White (J)-----------Left audio
Black/White-----------------Black White (K)------------Common audio

Black/White (Black) - connects to A12 Black/White on MAIN harness on NAV - ground
Tan (Blue) - connects to A1 Orange on MAIN harness on NAV - databus wire
Orange (Red) - connects to B1 Orange on MAIN harness NAV - 12V

I have seen the harness come with alternate wire colors, so I highlighted those colors.

There is an illumination wire, but you do not have to hook it up. The 6 disc will illuminate thru the databus 2 signal.

You don't have to use the 12V and ground at the main harness of the NAV radio, but since you are already nearby at the smaller harness, it makes it easier. Also, I originally used a bolt for my ground and I got ALOT of alternator whine. I moved the ground over to the main NAV harness, beefed up the entire ground (4ga) all the way to the battery, and my entire alternator whine went away.

A new CDX input will be created, so you will get AM/FM1/FM2/XM1/XM2/CDX

I have a nav manual in PDF form. PM me your email address and I will sent it to you.

In Summary:

If you don't have XM and Onstar, you have to attach 3 wires.

If you have XM or Onstar or both, you have to attach 6 wires.

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

I forgot to add:

Also, when you buy a 6 disc changer, MAKE SURE it has the metal ears, like this one:

Ebay Link

If it has plastic ears, it is for an 00-02 truck, and it WILL NOT work on the 03-06 databus 2 systems. Some sellers do not realize this and will tell you that 00-06 is all the same, which is not true.

Great info. :Handshake:

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
I have one for sale

Hey Anthony. If you want I have a 6 CD changer for sale in perfect condition

17434_216781716853_546416853_3693468_6541442_n.jpg

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
different thing JD. We're talking slave, not headie.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Ebay Link

Awesome info Omar... can I put you on speed dial?

one additional question.
Onstar equipped vehicle, Onstar is unused, will not EVER be used while I own it, nor do I expect to install the costar bluetooth adapter later. In that case, can I simply unplug the Onstar and plug in the Slave?

Thanks for everything above!

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
different thing JD. We're talking slave, not headie.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Awesome info Omar... can I put you on speed dial?

one additional question.
Onstar equipped vehicle, Onstar is unused, will not EVER be used while I own it, nor do I expect to install the costar bluetooth adapter later. In that case, can I simply unplug the Onstar and plug in the Slave?

Thanks for everything above!

Yeah I know. I was just hijacking the thread LOL!

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Exactly! That will work.

The only tinkering will be if you have to add the VSS wire for the NAV (Pin E on small harness). Even though it's not CDX related, GM chose to put that wire on the smaller harness.

Hope I helped some!

OP
OP
skippy737

skippy737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply -- it was very infomrative and i shoudl be able to do it, if not at least the installers have soemthing to go by-- they try to get me to buy aftermarket when i think the bise system sounds fine -- i mean metallica loud- is metallica loud-- either way it's good.

finding the harness though has been hard and i dont know if this is the right one:

would you please confirm this part number-- it says 9 pin to 9 pin- i thought that the numebr wasnt quite correct:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delc...wItemQQptZCar_Audio_Video?hash=item3ef4c48a6d

again, thanks for making this forum about what it is-- getting answers and the thanks people offer when you provide free assistance.

thanks,
alot,

Adam

and i dont utilze the xm, but i was thinking of doing so-- so i guess i just cant plug and play- oh well-- should be a fun project.

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
hey Omar

Thanks for all this info but I have another issue with the slave unit.

The pocket that comes out where the slave goes in is a sealed unit. Am I supposed to cut it so the slave can slide in?

Also there is a plastic piece inside the stops the slave from going all the way in. Is that supposed to be cut also?

Thanks

JD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645