Confused about lowering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
bo prob man. Sorry i fi came off wrong way

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

What is the best drop for me with 305 / 30 / 26 tires all the way around. What kit will work best 2/3 or 2/4 thanks

shoot me a pm. I have 26s and a 3/5

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Popo I had a shop do my drop too and now I'm going to do the free travel mod. Mine rides OK for 26" rims but Im hoping to make it better. Also doing the DJM endlinks so the swaybar sits right, its supposed to help too. I'm trying to go a bit lower in the rear and I need that mod or it will bottom out. Check out the thread on the free travel mod and you'll see what we're talking about. You can then look at your truck when you get it and see how much travel you have. I was surprised mine didn't bottom out, must be coming close.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Tony I did the free travel mod today but I don't see how to install the bumpstops- there's no way to get to the nuts. Do you just drill and tap a hole in the frame and use vise grips to tighten the bumpstop ? I made some 2 1/2" Autoride ride links and it sits almost perfectly level now. I'm concerned that if it's loaded or towing a heavy trailer it might hit without those stops installed. Now if those endlinks get here...looking good though.

IMG_4126.jpg

OP
OP
popo8

popo8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks sick!

LTXtech.com IS my drug...

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Hey Tony I did the free travel mod today but I don't see how to install the bumpstops- there's no way to get to the nuts. Do you just drill and tap a hole in the frame and use vise grips to tighten the bumpstop ? I made some 2 1/2" Autoride ride links and it sits almost perfectly level now. I'm concerned that if it's loaded or towing a heavy trailer it might hit without those stops installed. Now if those endlinks get here...looking good though.
Do u have the link to the free travel mod instructions?

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tony I did the free travel mod today but I don't see how to install the bumpstops- there's no way to get to the nuts. Do you just drill and tap a hole in the frame and use vise grips to tighten the bumpstop ? I made some 2 1/2" Autoride ride links and it sits almost perfectly level now. I'm concerned that if it's loaded or towing a heavy trailer it might hit without those stops installed. Now if those endlinks get here...looking good

unbolt the lower trailing arm where it meets the axle and pivot out of the way you will be able to bolt the bump stop to the axle pad there should be a hole towards the rear section of the pad, its tight to get the nut up in there but you can do it...getting the trailing arm out of the way was necessary for me to get my fingers up in the hole to hold the nut ( no wise crackin jokes please... Lol) you might try to hold it with some needle nose pliers...

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks sick!

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Do u have the link to the free travel mod instructions?

Popo here ya go: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59634
Edit: I did this today with a Sawzall and 8" bi-metal blades. I would cut about 1/3 of the way and then do a vertical cut and remove it in sections so I could make sure I wasn't cutting into the frame. If your Sawzall doesn't move forward easily you might be cutting into the frame. On the driver's side front 1/3 I cut going away from the gas tank to be safe. You can leave the weld on the frame if you want- it looks fine if you ask me to just grind off the sharp edges and paint. Depends on how picky you are. It wasn't that bad.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

southbound thanks. I saw that hole and was wondering if that would work but I didn't want to tear things apart and then find out it didn't work. I have to pull things apart again any way since I got shock mounting brackets instead of the DJM endlinks today. Looks like I get to put my fingers in that hole too. LMAO.

Last edited:

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
GI've me a call. I just got home with my new 2016 z06 and I got to lower this thing. Already pulled resr bumper off installing blacked out lights.. Ok I'm renting give me a call I'll be up till 2am pst

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
southboundchicken thanks, I got the bumpstops on. Then the endlinks. Then decided to pull the Belltech shock relocators and replace them with the DJM ones since they space the shocks further down which should have lowered the rear a bit more since the Autoride adjusts it. But no difference there. I was hoping to use my longer 3" autoride ride height sensor links because in the past when I went to 2 1/2" ones, they would pop out of the threads when the suspension was hanging. Anyway, now the 2 1/2" ones stay put when I jack up the frame; guess something changed there and the suspension doesn't hang as far down as it used to. And my truck sits level so all's good. Plus the ride is much better- thanks Tony.

OP
OP
popo8

popo8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have it back 2moro. U want pics of the rear swaybar norco?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yea if you can. Also if you can take a pic of rear bumpstop travel before it hits axle. If its 4 inches almost its going to have no real travel unless bracket cut off frame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec