5.7 Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

project96

Reaction score
Okay so I picked up a 96 Tahoe today with a cracked block. Thinking i'm just going to swap another engine in instead of finding a block and putting the old one back together. Anyways, I was wondering what other 5.7's I could use. Does it have to be the Vortec or can I put in an LS1 from a Camaro? If using the LS1 would it be a straight bolt in or would I have to use the LS1 Ecu and Wiring??

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With enough money and time, anything can be put in. But I do believe that the ECU and wiring are different between the two motors.

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
Drop in a big block :flamingdevil:

Seriously, if you are going to do an LS swap, you will need the entire wiring harness & ecu to have a chance at making this work. It is well worth the effort though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

project96

Reaction score
HT383E: haha oh wow I don't have that much money But that would be awesome. I'm just a laid off 21 year old that has some time but not alot of money that wants his truck up n running before the snow hits :) I found a 5.7 Vortec for $1000 without accessories but they never have them in stock...

I also found a 95 non-Vortec for $400...Can I put my intake manifold & head's on this block to make it Vortec?

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
the 95 will not work with out modifications the 96 took a big step up in ecu control over the motors. Two areas of concern would be the crank sensor and also the fuel delivery. I also believe they use a diffrent style water pump. Stick with a 96-99 vortec 5.7 will lessen the headache and cost. Gm makes a reman it may be in your budget.

cmcarr85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another guy on here just ordered one from Advanced auto parts. May want to check them out see what they can do for you.

How much does the 383 cost?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The HT383E is anywhere from $4K and up....but it is plug and play...so they say. I run one and a tune was REQUIRED to bring it to life. I picked up almost 100 tq and like 60 hp after a tune on that thing. Keep in mind it was a real dyno session though.

It makes nice power though, at the wheels I think I am making 280hp and 380tq, after the 24% drivetrain loss that is about 350 hp and 500tq at the flywheel. not to shabby if you ask me. Mine will melt the back tires too (35x12.5), break loose, chirp oon a down shift sometimes too. Very reliable too thus far. All in all I am pleased with it

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
purchase a new longblock, and if you want more power, just to a cam/spring swap before installation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9