uninstall Headliner / Dashboard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beltline

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
problem. there was some smoke coming from one my pillars and my sunroof got stuck. turns out i fried my harness that goes up there. Okay so i was looking and looking for any post on removing the dash and headliner, but have not had any luck. so i got tired looking for one and just decided to remove it on my own with out instructions.

for those of ya'll that are trying to figure this out im going to post pictures up too, but for now here is just the words

1. start with the pillars.

the good thing about chevy is that all the molds are pretty much snap ons!
what i did was start at the front pillars. stuck my hand at the very top and pulled towards me till i heard it snap off. there is only one snap on this one. once its off just pull up and away from the dash and wala its out

now lets move on to the pillars next to the front seats. these are also very easy to pull off. whats you do is start at the top also. pull away from the pillar and work your way done. about half way down you will stop hearing it snap. at this point you will need to get to the bottom where it meets with the door sill. grab the pillar mold and pull it out from underneath the rear door sill. it works better if you start from behind the driver's seat, and then pull the pillar back towards the rear seats. now it should be sliding out from the front door sill. do not forget to take off the handles at the top, just three bolts on each one.

now moving the pillar mods next to the rear seats. to make this work smoothly you will need to fold down the seats. then what you need to do is look about half way down right behind the rear seats. there is a bolt here that needs to be removed. once its out set it aside and then start from the top once more and snap off the mold by pulling it away. now its pretty big so just work your way down on this too. once you get to where the seat belt bolt half way down the mold, you can remove the bolt, and slide the belt out of the mold. now finish pulling the mold off and then put the too bolts that were taking off back on. i do this so that i dont lose any of them, and of course i put the belt back on the bolt.

now the rear pillar mods (be careful as these mold are sharp on the edges for some reason). i did the same as the front. get your hands in at the very top and pull away. i start from the inner part where the gate closes at, and just work you way down. mine had speakers on them so i just unhooked them after i snapped off the mod.

now the headliner. lets get those dome lights off first. what i did was just pop off the covers and then pull down on one end. be carefull what end your pulling down, as one side has a tab that holds it in place to the headliner. but there is one side so just check. once one end is down just slide it out. you can unplug it and put it aside but i just slide the whole thing side ways back in the opening.

the visors don not have to be taking off but its best to do so. you wont want to snap off half of the headliner and the weight of the visors snap it in half. these are easy to take off. i used an L wrench, just four screws and then they are off to the side.

i then moved on to the center consule controls. again unscrew and then just snap it off. unplugged the wires and the little mic for the on-star was kind of hard so i just slide the mic off the consule and left it hangging.

now there is a circle cap where the center of the left visor is. get a screw driver and pry it off easily. then remove the screw. i did this with an L wrench.

next where my center consule was there is a little screw that needs to be removed with a phillips head screw driver.

on the passangers side there is the handle at the top of the door. get a flat screw driver and stick it in there side of the square caps on the handle. pry those off too but be careful not to brake them. there more like pins and once there out. you can pull the handle out, again it just snaps off.
now take off the plastic mold around the sunroof.

next you want to start off at the front of the head liner where the front pillar are. its all snap off so just work you way around it all. be carefull not to pull to hard as it will crease it . you dont what to see lines up there when you get it back up.
by now it should be down. to put it back just do everything in reverse

oh and the hooks at the back of the headliner, if you look closely you can tell its two pieces together. you need to get a scerw driver and pry it downward on the bottom piece. it will snap down and then you can pull it out be sure to to push the tabs inward so that it comes out all the way. you will see it when it comes out half way

now moving on to the dash will be next

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
didn't see the vents...
just open them and move your fingers to the outer edges and spin the edge touching the headliner not the actual vent itself then it should just pop right out.

also you do have to take out the visors because those are screwed in to the roof via torx

the dash is quite simple just take the bezel off like normal and set aside.
take off both the fuse cover and cover on the passenger side which will reveal some more screws.
to get the vents out do just like the vents in the roof and stick your fingers to the outer edge and what works best for me is pulling towards the air bag so the left one put more pressure on the right side of the vent when you pull it out.
once out there will be more screws revealed.
next the "oh shit" grip... once the vents are out look in and you will see a white tab on each side push one side and pull on that side of the bar at the same time then go over to the other side and push it while pulling out and then once more on the other side and it should slide out.

take the same size nut driver as you would use for your radio and go around the bezel area taking out the bolts then switch over to a screw driver and take all the screws out 1 behind each vent 2 behind each cover.

now you are ready to take the dash out.
I had my dad help me the first time I sat in the driver seat and he sat in the passenger seat but the next time I took my dash out I did it by myself.

pull towards the back of the car firmly... you guys know how chevy goes you just need to pull the clips will give loose.
don't take the dash completely off yet because you still need to unscrew the light dome censor then you are free to take it the rest of the way out you may need to bend it a little at the a-pillars but otherwise its pretty simple

here's just a few shots of mine coming out.
IMG_8191.jpg

IMG_8192.jpg

IMG_8193.jpg

IMG_8194.jpg

whitetahoe

Reaction score
nice write up, will def come in handy once i get off my lazy butt and get my suede for the headliner

pittmanb8

Reaction score
On my 2004 Denali, you are not able to take off the headliner without some serious electrical work- at the driver's front pilar there is a group of wires that do not have a disconnect and you would either have to cut and splice back or pull all the wires off the headliner. I chose to just drop the headliner and install the overhead dvd player mounting bracket with the headliner laying on the seats.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beltline, that was a good first post. This thread has alot of potential, add in some pictures to illustrate the different stages and we will review for adding to the write ups.

B

undercover_skank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beltline, that was a good first post. This thread has alot of potential, add in some pictures to illustrate the different stages and we will review for adding to the write ups.

B

yes it does. and for those that have done suede headliners you can add in tips and technique. (headliners. visors)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24