Tahoe side skirts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

49fleetline

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi...I'm new to the forum and have been shopping '12-'14 Tahoes for my wife and she HATES the OEM running boards or running boards of any kind on any vehicle for that matter cuz it bruises her when she enters and exits such equipped vehicles. She's not dismissing the aesthetics or functionality of them for others who need and use them...it's what it does to her when she enters or exits such equipped vehicles....she can't use them.

When we finally get the Tahoe, I will be removing the running boards for her because SHE will be its primary driver (and I might get behind the wheel if she lets me lol), but she's concerned about what's under/behind the running boards once removed ie. will it reveal holes in the sheet metal, unfinished paint, etc. I think the finish and slight under carriage exposure will be no different than the trucks sans running boards...am I correct?

To the main point of this post: How are the STYLESIDE side skirts attached to the Tahoe? Do I use existing OEM holes? Do I drill holes :eek: into the sheet metal? I'd rather not do that if I don't have to. Your replies and pics would be greatly appreciated...cuz if not the Tahoe, then the next vehicle will a minivan :eek: Please please PUHLEEEEZ don't let me buy a minivan, but we need the passenger space and cargo space on a daily basis. We've already done the minivan route...it's time for a Tahoe! Happy wife happy life...minivan sad husband. Thanks!

Independent755

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had answers but I don't. I do however have a picture. Lol this is a member on here (don't remember who) but I saved a pic because I liked it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP

49fleetline

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks!, Indy775...that's a great pic and I, too, will save and store it for future reference. I'm shopping 2WD Brilliant White Tahoes...those skirts look great on there...just what we're looking for. We will keep the stock ride height.

Will the owner of this great looking Tahoe please respond on how and what it took to install these? Thanks!!!

Last edited:

sbubbaklein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
side skirts

I installed street scene side skirts and am pleased with fit and finish. They come with self taping screws for the front and the rear and 3m tape to attach all along the side.

When you remove the oem running board just take the inner most bolts out that attach to the rocker panel. There are 4 bolts that are attached to the brackets that go into the body horizontally and 5 bolts that go through the tread vertically. Remove the running board with bracket attached. The rocker panel is then exposed and you will find it to be flat rather than rounded. It is painted body color and will need to be cleaned up. If you like a raised look just leave it that way, sort of a border patrol look.

I chose to install the side skirts since they matched my SS bumper cover. They come primed so get them painted by a body shop.

I chose to make several flat galvanized brackest about 3in by 4.5in . My flat brackets came from home depot, they are called Simpson Strong hd tie brackets 3in by 7in, found in the deck hardware department. They will be riveted on to the side skirt. If you look at the top mounting edge of the skirt you can see a molded line where the 3M tape is run, the rivets should be installed behind the line, therefore hidden when installed.

Cut the brackets to approximately 4.5in to 5 in long. I used a die grinder and cut off wheel. Drill 1/2in holes in your flat bracket to mount to the oem captive nut on the rocker, slot the holes to allow some adjustment. The slot runs from 2.75in to 4 in from the rivet end. Bolt all of the brackets up loose to the bottom of the rocker CAUTION YOU MUST USE SHORTER BOLTS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE TO CLEAR THE EVAP LINES ABOVE. Slip the side skirt flange between the bracket and the body. Finalize location by sliding the bracket in and out. Now mark the underside of the side skirt flange where the sides of all of the brackets are.

Remove the brackets and skirt and get ready to rivet the brackets on. Remember you want the rivets to be hidden. If necessary hold the skirt against the body and find that molded line for the 3m tape. Mark and drill holes from skirt underside, try to use the punched holes in the bracket. Rivet the brackets on.

Try fitting the skirt assembly on, you will have to adjust it in and out to get it to look good. When done either remove bolts one at a time and locktite them or pull down 1/2 of the skirt apply 3M tape and bolt back up, then do other end. I chose to just Locktite the bolts , it is easier to remove if needed.

I was pleased with my install, very professional, no holes drilled, no screws just oem bolts. Will post pic of spare bracket and underside after home from Hot Rod Power Tour next week.

Attachments

• stepsremoved.jpg
    stepsremoved.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 107
  • boltholes.jpg
    boltholes.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 29
  • simpsonstrongtie.jpg
    simpsonstrongtie.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 107
  • cut2size.jpg
    cut2size.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 109
  • riveton.jpg
    riveton.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
OP
OP

49fleetline

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed street scene side skirts and am pleased with fit and finish. They come with self taping screws for the front and the rear and 3m tape to attach all along the side.

When you remove the oem running board just take the inner most bolts out that attaches to the rocker panel. Remove the running board with bracket attached. The rocker panel is then exposed and you will find it to flat rather than rounded. It is painted body color and will need to be cleaned up. If you like a raised look just leave it that way, sort of a border patrol look.

I chose to install the side skirts, they come primed so get them painted by a body shop. I chose to make a flat galvanized bracket about 3in by 5in . They were riveted on to the side skirt and rivets are not exposed, hidden under sill plate. Position the skirt in place and drill holes in your flat bracket to mount to the oem captive nut on the rocker. Slot the holes to allow some adjustment. Bolt them up adjust, finalize location, unbolt front half install 3m tape per instructions and bolt back up. Unbolt back half and install 3m tape and reinstall.

I was pleased with my install, no holes drilled, no screws just oem bolts. Will post pic of spare bracket and underside after home from Hot Rod Power Tour next week.

Thanks for posting....I'm looking forward to the pics!

sbubbaklein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more pics

Please see edited post above with more detail. Here are some more pics.

Attachments

• boltedupfront.jpg
    boltedupfront.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 45
  • bolteduprear.jpg
    bolteduprear.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 42
  • adjusted.jpg
    adjusted.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP

49fleetline

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great pics, Steve. I took delivery of a Summit White/Cashmere low-mileage '12 Tahoe LT and took the oem running boards off as soon as I got home. My wife appreciates it:) I'll use your idea when I score the skirts sometime in the future....THANKS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues