Luxury expedition build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vserduchka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was out of the GM scene for a while (had 2 Mercedes', a Jag, a Land Rover, & a Toyota Land Cruiser in the interim), but am back with a new project in mind.

I just purchased a 2003 Tahoe LT with 4WD, and am going to do a "luxury off road" build. Basically an off road / exploration / expedition vehicle that doesn't sacrifice comfort for functionality.

This thread will keep track of the build.

Planned cosmetic mods:
  • Debadge and demold (may install NNBS molding)
  • Red rear turn signal
  • New front seat bolsters & leather
  • Ballistic canvas seat covers w/ molle webbing
  • HD hood
  • Magnaflow 12589 Muffler (doesn't fit in any other category).

Planned functionality mods
  • 1" - 2" Lift (rear spacers and Ford keys)
  • ARB front bumper?
  • Rear bumper with jerry can holder?
  • Remove running boards
  • Slider steps

Planned tech mods
  • In-dash Nexus 7 with HU relocated to cubby hole
  • Backup camera
  • Built in USB chargers
  • Built in inverter
  • Pillar mounted Ultra Gauge
  • CB radio

Planned electrical mods
  • Dual battery setup
  • Bigger alternator?
  • Electric fans?
  • LED light bars
  • HID headlights
  • Interior LED swap
  • Instrument LED swap
  • Replace steering wheel w/ controls to steering wheel w/o controls.

Planned security mods
  • Locking gas door or cap

More mods to be added. Suggestions welcome. Pics to follow

Last edited:

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
Sounds awesome.
on the bigger altanator look at Power Master! For starters too.
Dual battery is pretty easy take a look at my photos. Ranger makes the set up I have.
Are you going to regear it to a lower gear(s)?

How about a hitch mounted winch and a hidden hitch upfront? ( to mount which up front, or in the rear that way)

VHT makes a candy paint / tint that's what I used on my wife's Tahoe's Taillights great choice. Although you can't go wrong with LED.

Road arrmor makes a trailer hitch mount for oversize spare tire and wheel and you can mount a fuel can to it also.

The power inverter is a easy mod to wire up and a lot have remote USB ports ! ( I picked one up from Pepboys)

What else do you plan on doing?

What about a Wilson mobile wireless dual-band signal booster?

CB?

Air helper bags in rear coil springs ?
Putco makes vehicle specific LED interior lights I have them and love them.
Led bulbs for turn stop Tail and parking ?
HIDs I always use DDM tunning

Are you going to have a third row? If not and you don't need a bench in the back seat. I'd do a rear cargo box. Check police auctions ! And swap middle seats to bucket seats and put a second center console in the middle and mount a cooler inside it.

Power wise have you thought about wiring up solor panel(s) to trickle charge the battery(s)?

Also roof wise what about a Yakmaa rack?

HD hood? ( has more of the NNBS hood body lines and looks really stout!

I would mount an E-tool and and off road jack too and some water and a fire extingersher flash light ( stream light stinger) and charger.

Maybe some N-fab hoop steps I know you said get rid of your steps but it's some side body protection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vserduchka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Day after purchase

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1981.png

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Sounds awesome.
Dual battery is pretty easy take a look at my photos. Ranger makes the set up I have.

How about a hitch mounted winch and a hidden hitch upfront? ( to mount which up front, or in the rear that way)

VHT makes a candy paint / tint that's what I used on my wife's Tahoe's Taillights great choice. Although you can't go wrong with LED.

Road arrmor makes a trailer hitch mount for oversize spare tire and wheel and you can mount a fuel can to it also.

The power inverter is a easy mod to wire up and a lot have remote USB ports ! ( I picked one up from Pepboys)

Thanks for the tips!

This info will make the first stages of this build that much easier.

Lots to come. Can't get it all out of my head and on paper at the moment.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

The never-fun demold/debadge process.

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Still have these lines after hitting the pinstriped with the 3M Strip Off Wheel. Any recommendations on how to remove?

IMG_1997.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Sounds awesome.

What about a Wilson mobile wireless dual-band signal booster?

CB?

Air helper bags in rear coil springs ?
Putco makes vehicle specific LED interior lights I have them and love them.
Led bulbs for turn stop Tail and parking ?
HIDs I always use DDM tunning

Are you going to have a third row? If not and you don't need a branch in the back seat. I'd do a rear cargo box. Check police auctions ! And swap middle seats to bucket seats and put a second center console in the middle and mount a cooler inside it.

Power wise have you thought about wiring up solor panel(s) to trickle charge the battery(s)?

Also roof wise what about a Yakmaa rack?

HD hood?

I would mount an E-tool and and off road jack too and sme water and a fire extingersher flash light ( stream light stinger) and charger.

Maybe some N-fab hoop steps I know you said get rid of your steps but it's some side body protection.

Stop it. I can feel my wallet becoming even lighter than after the list of my originally planned mods :rotflmao:

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
Oh look at it again I revised it a bit. Lol. On the pin strip you are talking about 10 almost 12 years of sun fading and baking it in / on. What about wet sanding that. Area?

OP
OP
V

vserduchka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about wet sanding that. Area?

That's what I was thinking. I'll have to hit that with some 2500 grit before compounding & polishing.

Also ripped off some paint while removing the very last piece of chrome trim. I'll have to repaint that area as well.

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
I was wrong dual battery setup is by : Wrangler
NW power products (800)-962-2616

OP
OP
V

vserduchka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some goodies arrived today, most of which will be installed tomorrow morning:

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Also got the rest of the glue off of the passenger side. I can't figure out what was up with those chrome panels underneath the impact strips- were they a factory item, or aftermarket? One thing's for sure: they were awful.

On a happier note, I got some of the interior LED's swapped in. The difference is amazing. Photos don't do the effect any justice.

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg