Yukon-vs-Yukon Denali...AWD-vs-4WD..towing/offroad...decisions...decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mad max

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello fellow car fanatics. I am looking at buying a new Yuk or Yuk Denali and am having a hard time deciding between the two. The whole AWD vs 4WD thing has got me stymied. Love the Denali, big 400hp motor, nicer seats, more luxurious. But slightly worse gas mileage, and AWD, which I understand isn't really designed for off road (soft sand) and some beaches won't even allow you on with AWD. Having a Yukon, smaller 330hp motor, slightly better mileage, and a real transfer case sounds like it might be a smarter move for strength and reliability should I decide to go off road or tow. Bummer you can't get a bigger motor and better seats with the straight Yukon version. Resale ability and resale value are also an obvious concern/consideration.
Any owners or repair people with thoughts or regrets on this? How reliable is the AWD if towing a 10,000 lb boat a few hundred miles once or twice a year, or going off road? (its only rated at 8100 lbs...)(4WD Yuk is rated at 8200 lbs). They both sound took weak to tow my 10,000 lb boat? What about off road/soft sand? I rarely do either, but like the option.

OP
OP
M

mad max

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Chevy?

I have been reading a lot on this board and it looks as though I should seriously consider the Chevy Tahoe 6.2 4WD LTZ. Not to start a fight or anything, but how does it and the Yukon / Yukon Denali compare?

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

I'm looking for a new Yukon/Denali/Tahoe and am trying to find out which one is the most beefy. I like to option of towing my 10,000 boat. I like the option of driving down a sandy beach. I've been weighing the differences between the Yukon SLT2, Yukon Denali and the Tahoe LTZ. Any more helpful information would be much appreciated.
So far it appears that the Yukon SLT2 can come with almost everything except the ac seats and 400HP motor, and has the best mileage at 14 city.
The Denali has the big motor but only available with AWD - not so good in deep sand, and 12 mpg city.
The Tahoe LTZ might have everything ( 400hp motor and 4WD and 14 mpg city) except the auto-ride suspension.

Have I got this right? Any other important differences?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are towing a large boat, it looks like you need the larger motor (6.2L) but you need to check out the tow rating to make sure it meets your needs.

As far as off-road, 4WD all the way IMO. Although I rarely use 4lo, it is nice to have just in case. Mostly use it for steep and loose hills.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot on this board and it looks as though I should seriously consider the Chevy Tahoe 6.2 4WD LTZ. Not to start a fight or anything, but how does it and the Yukon / Yukon Denali compare?

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

I'm looking for a new Yukon/Denali/Tahoe and am trying to find out which one is the most beefy. I like to option of towing my 10,000 boat. I like the option of driving down a sandy beach. I've been weighing the differences between the Yukon SLT2, Yukon Denali and the Tahoe LTZ. Any more helpful information would be much appreciated.
So far it appears that the Yukon SLT2 can come with almost everything except the ac seats and 400HP motor, and has the best mileage at 14 city.
The Denali has the big motor but only available with AWD - not so good in deep sand, and 12 mpg city.
The Tahoe LTZ might have everything ( 400hp motor and 4WD and 14 mpg city) except the auto-ride suspension.

Have I got this right? Any other important differences?

I had an 06 Denali - loved the engine but never liked not being able to choose 4WD. If you're thinking of the Tahoe LTZ w/ 6.2 engine better find one in a hurry. I don't believe the 6.2 is going to be offered in 2010 - just the 5.3 (except the 6.0 in the Hybrid).

OP
OP
M

mad max

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had an 06 Denali - loved the engine but never liked not being able to choose 4WD. If you're thinking of the Tahoe LTZ w/ 6.2 engine better find one in a hurry. I don't believe the 6.2 is going to be offered in 2010 - just the 5.3 (except the 6.0 in the Hybrid).

I was just told the same thing by a dealer in NY who just sold his. I'm in Mass. As usual: a day late! He's checking inventory from other dealers now. That sucks! Maybe he will find on, in black :), or I may have to take the Yukon SLT2 or Denali anyway, or find a newer used one...

Used to be GMC would put any motor in any truck you wanted. I suppose Chevrolet would put a performance motor in at a dealer also, but that's probably not a good idea. There was a dealer in Calif that had a dyno and they were the only ones who could certify the installation was done properly. I'm guessing them days are probably gone now...

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Holy cow, I located a couple left over 2009's in dealerships in other states. I'm beginning to really feel like Mad Max now! "..the last big block". (pretty sure the 6.2L is actually a small block-so I missed the Big Block already"

Mgyver1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a 3/4 ton Yukon XL or Suburban. With that much weight and the fact that it's going to see some decent use (offroading) you'd be better off with a heavier duty rig. And it comes with the bigger engine. Just my 2 cents.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LTZ tahoe comes standard with auto ride. It sounds like the Tahoe has everything you want. It might be hard to find one though as I don't think there are very many made. Towing your 10K boat is going to be very tough I'm sure it can be done but I wouldn't recommend trying to do it often and when you do take it easy. I think the max tow rating on the 3/4 ton is like 9500. It has less power but an iron block engine that is built more for towing also a little bit lower axle ratio thats not available on the 1/2 tons. Either way your going to be over the tow ratings. If you aren't going to tow the boat once or twice a year you will probably be ok with a half ton.

Mgyver1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LTZ tahoe comes standard with auto ride. It sounds like the Tahoe has everything you want. It might be hard to find one though as I don't think there are very many made. Towing your 10K boat is going to be very tough I'm sure it can be done but I wouldn't recommend trying to do it often and when you do take it easy. I think the max tow rating on the 3/4 ton is like 9500. It has less power but an iron block engine that is built more for towing also a little bit lower axle ratio thats not available on the 1/2 tons. Either way your going to be over the tow ratings. If you aren't going to tow the boat once or twice a year you will probably be ok with a half ton.

Still, with using the vehicle off-road and towing very heavy things, I think the 3/4 ton will still be more useful and durable than a Yukon, especially the Denali. As much problems as people have with auto-ride on the street, I can only imagine how it would fair with overweight items and offroad use.

OP
OP
M

mad max

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all.

What problems with autoride have been occurring on the street?
I think I heard mention of some tranny problems also? What's happening there?

I'm beginning to think towing the boat is just a plain bad idea, unless I go with a pickup, which I really don't need most of the time, nor will parking be any fun. I know someone with a sierra, '04 I think, with a 496 gas motor. 9 MPG. That would do it! Or a Duramax. Again - I don't want a truck that big. Dealer is telling me not to get the 6.2: if gas goes back up [when gas goes back up...], I might as well burn it instead of trying to sell it. Valid point made by him. I have him working up a price on a loaded 5.3 Cheby LTZ and I'll compare it with the loaded Jimmy SLT2. They are basically the same(?). Not sure about the cooled seats option being available in the SLT2. No heated steering wheel in the non-Denali Chevy or GMC. Interior is nicer on the Denali, but most seem to agree 4WD is better than AWD. My guess is I'd be happy with the 5.3 4WD and just pay someone to tow the boat.

ILikePie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a Suburban 1/2 ton with the 6.0 Vortec Max in it. How bout them apples? And even though its not a 6.2...its not a slouch either.