How to reset TPMS sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

champ112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needless to say i rotated the tires and now the tire pressure gauge on the dash is out of wack. the front tire pressure is really the back the left is really the right and so on. How the hell do i reset this thing to get it back to normal?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Look at you Owners Manual, you use the DIC on the dash to relearn TPMS sensors due to rotation and sensor replacement.
To tell you the truth, its easier to just leave it like that and know that your two rear tires were moved forward on the same side and the two front ones were moved to the rear and then flipped to the opposite side.
Then all you would have to do is wait till you get another rotation and rethink it again.

OP
OP
C

champ112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would it be easier, shouldnt it just be the push of buttons

tool2269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would it be easier, shouldnt it just be the push of buttons

do what i did, drive over to any tire shop (discount tire) and say "hey man, you forgot to reset my TPM after rotating my tires" and they will go out and do it real quick w/ a computer tool for free.

or DIY via owners manual and run circles around your car

jdogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just went through the same problem. I agree with Tool. Take it to a shop it is done in a matter of seconds. I took it mine to my local chevy service shop and they took care of it. They used this gun looking laser device that learns the tire pressure for each tire.

turboeclips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is super easy to do. check out the owners manual for exact instructions...

Basically you just select relearn on the dash control thingy and then you hear a beep.
You will let air out of each tire til you hear a beep.
You will start with drivers side front, then go to passenger front, then passenger rear, and last driver rear.

This is what I recall from memory... its real easy to do.

TX LTZHoe 07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im with turbo. Did mine today in all of 5 minutes, including re-inflating the tires to their initial pressure. The beep is actually the horn honking - lower pressure in driver front till it honks, move to passenger front and lower pressure till it honks, same with passenger rear and then driver rear.

Pretty easy.

JDGnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll give it another try tonight.. but I spent over an hr last night trying to get them reset, and now nothing reads. I can get it to the point where the horn honks twice to start the relearn... twice I got it to get past the first tire, but never picked up the second... I tried going down and up with the air pressure.
Tonight I'm going to start by airing them up a little more, and go from there.. (something I read on another site..) if I don't get it.. I guess I'm off to Discount tire...

At least before I started I could read the pressures.. haha..
Bryan

lowAZhoe

Resident GM Tech
Reaction score
It is super easy to do. check out the owners manual for exact instructions...

Basically you just select relearn on the dash control thingy and then you hear a beep.
You will let air out of each tire til you hear a beep.
You will start with drivers side front, then go to passenger front, then passenger rear, and last driver rear.

This is what I recall from memory... its real easy to do.

Thats how u do it without the TPMS tool. You can either deflate or inflate the tire for about 10 seconds to learn the tire sensor. it will honk when it learns each corner. also the parking light will light up brighter than the others telling u which corner is being programmed.

JDGnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally got it to take.. I'd guess I have 20 min in the tire rotation.. 20min in the oil change.. and 4 hrs in the tire relearn... (2 nights working on it.) I really didn't do any thing different each time.. I did just go back to the 5 seconds on each tire.. and if it didn't take, it would cancel out and I would start over..
Also learned, if you turn off the head lights, it will light only the marker light for the wheel you are working on.. (but its not like you're going to get lost..) I tried it running or not running.. it didn't seem to make a differance..
Thanks,
Bryan