Console Safe by Lock'er Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
I purchased a Console Safe by Lock'er Down from Mobile Security Plus ( http://www.mobilesecurityplusstore.com/ ) for my 2010 Tahoe. The model number is LD2011A. The Console Safe does not block the USB port or 12-volt power port in the factory console, which is what kept me from buying a competitor's product previously. I added the Abloy High Security Lock option to the Console Safe.

The Console Safe was received on 06-20-12, and I installed it that same day. Being Mr. Negative, I'll get to the only minor complaint I would have, and it is one which I have read about a competitor's product: I wish the interior dimensions were just a little wider, but I can understand the reasoning behind the manufacturing process. O.K., with that out of the way, the product is fantastic and serves my main purpose, which is to be able to lock up a full-size 9mm pistol when I don't want the pistol with me when outside the vehicle. Plus, I can toss in other stuff like a checkbook, iPod touch, etc. to keep it safer from those pesky smash and grab thieves.

I may purchase a Chevrolet truck or a second Tahoe when the 2014 models come out, provided the 2014 Chevrolet trucks looks better than the current models or the 2014 Tahoe isn't sissified. If I do make a new vehicle addition at that time, and a Console Safe by Lock'er Down is available, that'll be the first modification I'll make to the new vehicle. I like the product. :)

My comments on the five pictures below:

Picture 1: Side view of the actual Console Safe with the two attachment screws in the plastic bag toward the upper left side of the picture, the two keys that came with the lock I ordered, the cover plate with the finger hole that covers the inside lower portion of the Console Safe and which can be used to keep some small items out of view inside the Console Safe, and the cutout portion of the Console Safe that allows access to the USB port or 12-volt power port in the factory console.

Picture 2: The cover plate that fits over the top of the Console Safe.

Picture 3: The Console Safe screwed down inside the factory console, and the underside of the cover plate that fits over the top of the Console Safe. There are four bolts on the underside of the cover plate that fit through openings on the top of the Console Safe. It isn't necessary to add a locknut to each bolt from inside the Console Safe if you wish to use the supplied sticky tape, but if you wish to use locknuts, do as I did and go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy four 8-32 stainless steel nylon insert locknuts. (TIP: Attach the locknuts after you set the cover plate into position on top of the Console Safe when everything is outside of the factory console. You'll be glad you did. I wish I had done so before screwing down the Console Safe and then attaching the cover plate and locknuts. Things would have been much easier!) In my picture, you'll see one 8-32 stainless steel nylon insert locknut on the lower left underside bolt of the cover plate. I was just testing to be sure I had the right size locknut, and forgot to remove it before I took the picture.

Picture 4: Cover plate in posiiton, and you can see where the two included screws were used to secure the Console Safe to the floorboard. Prior to inserting the Console Safe, I had removed two screws that GM had used to help secure the factory console. Those holes were then used to secure the Console Safe.

Picture 5: The cover plate with the finger hole (which isn't visible in the picture due to the angle I was in trying to take a picture from above without falling into the second row :uhoh2: ) that covers the inside lower portion of the Console Safe where you can hide some small items if you wish.

Attachments

• Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 1 of 6.jpg
    Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 1 of 6.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 331
  • Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 2 of 6.jpg
    Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 2 of 6.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 3 of 6.jpg
    Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 3 of 6.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 317
  • Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 4 of 6.jpg
    Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 4 of 6.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 321
  • Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 5 of 6.jpg
    Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 5 of 6.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
OP
OP
StevenFromTexas

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
My comments on the two pictures below:

Picture 1: The felt cover is in place on the bottom of the Console Safe by Lock'er Down.

Picture 2: The finished installation, with the cover to the USB port on the left side exposed and ready for use if one wants to use it.

If you would like to get a 10% discount and order the Console Safe by Lock'er Down or some other product from Mobile Security Products ( http://www.mobilesecurityplusstore.com/ ), I have been advised you can enter coupon code Tahoe.

I'm a happy camper tonight. I'm positive about that! :)

Attachments

• Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 6 of 6.jpg
    Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 6 of 6.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 1 of 2.jpg
    Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 1 of 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

plush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still don't see the need for these. LOL, what is a checkbook, I have not carried (or used one of those in years. Also, why in the world do you carry an FS 9MM? I used to have a Beretta 92FS, just way to big to carry everywhere, get something smaller.

metalemt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still don't see the need for these.

There's a hater in every console safe topic it seems :signs8:

I almost bought the other one but the whole needing new brakes stopped that. But soon enough, we'll be able to compare notes!

rankhornjp

Reaction score
Still don't see the need for these. LOL, what is a checkbook, I have not carried (or used one of those in years. Also, why in the world do you carry an FS 9MM? I used to have a Beretta 92FS, just way to big to carry everywhere, get something smaller.

Even if his gun were smaller, there are still places that are illegal to carry even if you have a license/permit. Better than being arrested or stuffing it under the seat for someone to steal.

OP
OP
StevenFromTexas

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
Tip: Don't leave your driver's license, insurance card, and concealed gun license with your handgun in the Console Safe. It might create a bad encounter with the law if you're asked to provide identification. :imo:

OP
OP
StevenFromTexas

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
It didn't take long to make my first modification to this modification project.

The Console Safe will no longer be used for a full-size 9mm pistol storage compartment. I permanently removed the cover plate with the finger hole that covers the inside lower portion of the Console Safe where you can hide some small items if you wish, cut the felt cover in the right spot, and have used velcro fasterners to attach a holster that I won't be wearing anymore. Now, a .38 Colt Detective Special straight out of the 1960s is sitting in that holster. That leaves lots of available storage space for other items.

These Tahoes are fun to customize. And that Console Safe is a neat product! :)

Attachments

• Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 2 of 2.jpg
    Console Safe installation 06-20-12 -- Picture 2 of 2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tip: Don't leave your driver's license, insurance card, and concealed gun license with your handgun in the Console Safe. It might create a bad encounter with the law if you're asked to provide identification. :imo:

Haha I might see a little problem there. I would def buy it but don't have a center console. ::(: lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE