Another Dual Battery Setup and Projector Headlights and Headlight, Fog HID Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikey42_69

Reaction score
I love HID lights but I hate it when people just skip the fact that they don’t have the correct housing to have an HID on their car or truck. That’s just plain laziness. Not to mention selfishness to other drivers. Don’t you just hate it when you have someone blinding you because they bought a set of HIDs and put it into their vehicle that is not equipped for HIDs. So I got a set off projector headlights off of eBay with a set of HID for $180 from dotcom racing. I love them. I changed the stock H13 bulb to two H1 bulbs. It has daytime LEDs that look blue to purplish. They look great. The housing is a little reflective looking more than the stock headlights. I didn’t really see that the old stock headlights are not 100% reflective chrome. They have a lot of area that is sort of matt finish. The ballast is cheap Chinese and I am using them for the fog lights because I already have good ballasts for the Headlights. The headlights came with full detailed instructions to remove the headlights. I took it one step further and also just removed the whole front bumper. It made the install of the ballasts easer. It took more time to do it right but it will be better in the long run to have all the cables tie wrapped and nothing hanging. So here are the pictures of the install.
4fd93edc.jpg
482f2550.jpg
5ed234aa.jpg
574ecf3b.jpg
42c7584e.jpg
dd4b44db.jpg
f9c15592.jpg
2c63cd46.jpg
a75e5f13.jpg
c78a7d8f.jpg
0e34e8fe.jpg
3afedebd.jpg
30c1be15.jpg
e17a337e.jpg
af397611.jpg
01fee79e.jpg
24fd6af4.jpg
f71dfaf9.jpg
5f81d1fb.jpg
2f7ff3d6.jpg

OP
OP
mikey42_69

mikey42_69

Reaction score
5129c931.jpg
6cb42f85.jpg
5e2de306.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

So now for the dual Battery install. Because I had everything already off the truck I wanted to install my yellow top for my later install of my amps and subs. No time soon. I saw that most people were running the positive lead of the second battery all the way to the firewall and then to the first battery. That’s cool and all but there is already a 4 gauge run to the alternator and it will be the shortest distance for the current to travel from the alternator to both batteries to charge. So I ran my positive to the alternator and Tie Wrapped it to the ECM cables to go the computer. I also like to always have a fuse distribution center to make everything clean. I don’t like personally all the accessories bulked up next to the leads with the inline fuse containers. So I got a fuse distribution type deal at the local marine shop. I love it. On another note I will never get those already wired HID relay kits again. That is why I have dual fuses for the HID relay. I plan to remove them I just ran out of time. I got the polished optima tray from eBay for $60 and I love it. I just used the factory lip on the second battery tray and tucked the polished one under it. Then I predrilled two holes and screwed the bottom of the tray down after I added the brackets to the side. It really holds the optima great and looks so good doing it. I didn’t like the gray on the optima so I used a high temp spray paint and painted the body of the optima black. And it looks great. Best looking battery tray ever. I highly recommend it. For the power and the ground I went to the local auto parts store and bought some premade 4 gauge batter terminal cables. Very cheap. Bo the cables cost $20 and already had a terminal so that I can use the front terminals for the factory hookup and use the top terminals for the Audio system. It even came with the screws. For the ground I just used the fender wells hold down to the radiator support and grinded down the paint and it works great.
ebd525d3.jpg
e877f8c4.jpg
dea2ff79.jpg
9426d8f2.jpg
2317b8b7.jpg
40ab6ae5.jpg
0f87c464.jpg
6b7b0903.jpg
c4d5b2ac.jpg
82794355.jpg
ad8fcef3.jpg
d247176c.jpg
9897868a.jpg
b1ceacc1.jpg

Megaboom

Reaction score
That's an awesome set up you got there, alot of people say the eBay projectors are not great but I've had success with them as well. How's the light cut off? Got any night pics?

OP
OP
mikey42_69

mikey42_69

Reaction score
That's an awesome set up you got there, alot of people say the eBay projectors are not great but I've had success with them as well. How's the light cut off? Got any night pics?

The light cut off is Great just the bulbs suck. They are half an inch difference on the filament so I ordered a better bulb.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Looks good Mike.
It would have been better to wire that battery back to the other battery in parallel though. Its easier all the alternator and better for your future heavy load audio sine the batteries are not completely independent of each other.

bacin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID Fog light part number

:hail: mikey42_69 what is the part nuber for the HID Fog lights from dotcom racing?

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are using a stock battery with the optima you are defeating the purpose of dual battery's. One of them will die soon. If you must do it this way purchase a solenoid and put it on a separate switch that you can control. The cause is that the current will always migrate to the path of least resistance, causing one of the pair to suffer. If you can return the yellow top do so and get, two regular twin battery's manufactured on the same run. You will have much better long term results.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

I forgot to ask. I love the look of those headlights but have been burnt by even the most expensive aftermaket projectors with them just spreading light everywhere and being a total waist.

How are they with your hid's installed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DB1337

Latest posts